filthy on = To be unhappy with someone, e.g. See: IAC list on Trove. In this article, we divide all the Australian slang words into three main groups: slang abbreviations ending in -ie (barbie, sunnies), slang abbreviations ending in -o (e.g. That blokes a flamin galah; he doesnt know whether hes Arthur or Martha . Scabs are also known as blacklegs. The Newcastle song [music video, sung by Bob Hudson] The phrase seems to have gained currency around January 2009, prompted by a widely-shared photo of a map of Australia (with the slogan) mounted on what appears to be the fence of a tennis court. Davo cant go into work today, because hes real crook. Similar to the term town bike, e.g. bookie = A bookmaker (professional betting men who accept bets at racetracks). bolt it in = To win easily, or to win by a great distance, e.g. The Christmas season is always a festive season no matter where you are. Remember, if you can master just one Aussie slang word, you'll be well on your way to enjoying a great holiday down under. Often depicted as someone with a strong Australian accent, who swears, drinks a lot of beer, and who has very few social graces; stereotyped as wearing (in the heat) shorts, blue t-shirt, and thongs (footwear), with a tinnie or stubbie of beer in his hand. Here's the full list . Both are dried grapes, but different varieties and taste different to each other.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sultana_%28grape%29http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raisin, Learn more about about moving abroad with GoodMigrations'. Comes from the 1700s British word hooray. Davo, Jacko, Johno, Robbo, Stevo, and Tommo (David, Jack, John, Robert, Steve, and Tom). Example: No drama. bog in = Indulge freely; same as the expression dig in. To think the world of yourself. Used in place of all right and fine. Kookaburra Example: I cant eat Maccas again. What is a bogan and why doesnt anyone like them? Also, a small tin boat. Extremely busy. opinions are like arseholes, everyones got one = A phrase used to denigrate someones opinion. An Australian slang term for a nosy or overly inquisitive person. couldnt organise a root in a brothel = Referring to someone who is incompetent. To get on the turps is to drink. Trying to. Bail Thats fair dinkum. A bogan is a stereotypical Australian, with a potty mouth, bad dress sense and a fondness for alcoholic beverages. booze artist = Someone who drinks a lot of alcoholic drinks, especially beer. He put the bite on her for a loan. It might get wet here on the dining table. B&S = Bachelors and Spinsters; being a reference to a Bachelors and Spinsters Ball, a dance party arranged for single people, or humourously referring to a gathering that is said to look like one. Anzac = Originally a reference to the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps (ANZAC), it also refers to the members thereof, and is sometimes applied to Australian men in a stereotypical sense (rugged, tough, etc.). I mentioned this in passing amongst some American friends. I cant be bothered to go out today. blow-in = An uninvited newcomer, a recent arrival, someone who is not really a part of the group; the term is usually derogative, being a reference to something that has just been blown in by the wind; e.g. Football. Typical symptoms of a hangover may include headache, drowsiness, concentration problems, dry mouth, dizziness, fatigue, gastrointestinal distress (e.g., vomiting . Have a decko at that!. It had rained that much, the ground was wet enough to bog a duck. Carn the Blues!. lammo = A lamington. The funny thing about Australia is that our slang isnt just used by bogans (read on to find out more) its part of the lexicon of all Australians, no matter what their class or level of education. stinker = A very hot day, e.g. The women are all avoiding him; hes about as popular as a Jew in Germany (derives from the treatment of Jews in Germany during the period of the Third Reich). To leave, or not turn up in the first place. Meaning: (Expression) The expression You little ripper! is Australian slang that means fantastic.. The phrase has several longer variations, each ending with a reference to a strong wind, such as She bangs like a dunny door in a cyclone / hurricane / gale / high wind / Southerly / storm / wind. Now listen mate, I need to splash the boots. mate = Friend, cobber. 2. RELATED: WEIRD & CREEPY AUSTRALIAN URBAN LEGENDS, Hard work. We think the likely answer to this clue is TWO-POT SCREAMER. Theres a lot of different Australian slang words for this, as youll see! We still shorten our words and use "ie" at the end of some words, e.g. The full phrase is Fair suck of the saveloy, but saveloy has long since been shortened to sav (a saveloy is a seasoned pork sausage). Hello and welcome to Birdgehls, a responsible travel blog with an emphasis on backyard travel in Australia. Somewhere in the middle of nowhere or very far away. Shes up the duff. wog = [1] Generally a person of Southern European or Mediterranean ethnicity, although it can also be applied to other non-Anglo European foreigners; usually derogatory, but sometimes used in a friendly manner. as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike = Someone, or something, that is not useful. togs. digger = [1] Friend, cobber, mate. Bonza= fantastic/wonderful. Predominately used in Sydney & Canberra. Meaning: (Phrase) Going off as an Australian slang term differs from its American meaning. Also rendered as Cabbage Staters or Cabbage Patchers. Ned Kelly: Australian bushranger Put another snag on the barbie, will ya love?. Go on, give it a burl. Bogans or just some blokes having a good time?bogan = Someone who is perceived as being uncouth, uncultured, and of a lower socio-economic class (excepting cashed-up bogans); stereotyped as someone who wears flannelette shirts, smokes cigarettes (especially Winnie Blues, i.e. buggered = [1] Broken down, not working, e.g. Dont go out in a wind, or your tickets will blow off. shout = To buy drinks for others; to buy a round of drinks, especially in a pub, e.g. After explaining it they still dont believe it is a legit phrase. Hi, what about stick your beak in or nosey parker and knackers & knackered, One correction and one addition Meaning: (Expression) Fair dinkum is an expression that is the same as honestly? The Australian slang, fair dinkum, is used positively and negatively, depending on the situation. FIFO = [2] Acronym for Fly In, Fly Out, referring to workers (particularly regarding mine workers in remote areas of Western Australia) who fly in to a remote locations, work for two to three weeks, then fly back to their homes for a week or so, and then fly back to work again. John OBrien (Patrick Joseph Hartigan) Banana Benders = Queenslanders; as Queensland is the state where a lot of bananas are grown, being located in the tropical area of Australia. bog in = To tuck into food, or to eat food with gusto, e.g. The word cobber is quintessentially Australian (definitely not English); although it is now mainly used by much older Australians (just like the term dig to refer to a friend). Dinner. Heres a fun new word, Avanavo = Have an avo. Leekker (lack-er): This is a slang derived from the Afrikaans and means or acts as a sign of acceptance, approval, good or great. (Dont try this at home, folks). Chuck us the stick over here, Hey, chuck us a can of beer, would ya?. A person who is up themselves is stuck up. shithouse = [1] Toilet (crapper, dunny, loo, water closet). In South Africa that means going for a dip in the altogetherwhich means going for a swim naked or kaalgat. If youre in the music industry, youre a muso. Gazza = Garry. bugger = [1] Damn. all alone like a country dunny = Someone on their own, or someone who is lonely. That concert was sweet as, bro. Example: Hey mate, you left the billy outside overnight. Geebung and Speewah are also used in a similar manner, although these are names of actual places (both in Queensland); in this regard, their situation is similar to Timbuctoo, located in Africa (formerly part of the French Sudan colony; now in Mali, and spelt Timbuktu). Old Duck. This is part of the Australia tradition of giving various names an o suffix, e.g. Derived from beautiful. put the fangs in = To ask someone for a loan, to attempt to borrow money. I just bought a new car, its sweet as!. toey = Restless, e.g. I find it weird that the Kiwis dont call it the same thing (but then jandals what, how?). That watch is a little exy for my budget. The Australian slang term for drunk or intoxicated. Aussie battlers = Australians who are not rich, battling against lifes odds. carked it = To die; stop working, e.g. Once again, were a continent and people do have different accents, depending on where you hail from, a point I find myself arguing ALL THE TIME. Similar to the phrase put the bite on. The Man from Ironbark [poem by Banjo Paterson] Hallmark Channel. billy lid = Rhyming slang for kid (child). people from Bananaland (a slang name for Queensland). he was carrying on like a two-bob watch (from having a cheap watch that goes too fast). Meaning: (Expression) In other places, the word sick refers to a person who is ill. Ha! cracked = [1] To achieve something in particular, or to succeed in life, e.g. ], bugger = [2] An annoying person (usually used regarding males), e.g. bag of fruit = Rhyming slang for suit (can also be abbreviated to bag). churchie = A church-goer; also used regarding students from Church of England schools. bonk = Hit, e.g. A call from the Dardanelles: Coo-ee wont you come?coo-ee = A call used in the bush, especially if lost, or to attract attention; also used to indicate a long distance, e.g. "I eat brekkie every morning before sunup." 2. The earliest published example located for give it a burl, Shirl is from 2005. Thanks for commenting, Laura! two-pot screamer = Someone who gets drunk very easily; someone who gets drunk after drinking just two pots of beer (a pot of beer is a 285ml glass of beer, which is about half of an imperial pint). I havent got a brass razoo, This isnt worth a brass razoo (although they never existed as such, some brass razoos were manufactured at one stage as a novelty item, based upon the saying). carry on like a pork chop = Someone carrying on in an unduly agitated manner, e.g. See the following list: https://trove.nla.gov.au/list?id=132374 Brekkie The most important meal of the day, "brekkie" means breakfast. = word for Englishman; supposedly comes from Pomegranate, which was the color they turned in the sun in Australia. Those werent the best burgers in Perth! dimmies = Dim Sims, the Australian version of the Chinese food Dim Sum; cooked for diggers on the goldfields in the 1850s, the modern recipe and style is believed to have been developed by William Wing Young in 1945. dingo = A treacherous and cowardly person; from the characteristics attributed to the Australian dog, the dingo. Beer holder, designed to allow the drinker to grasp onto their cold can without their hands freezing in the process. Davo, Jacko, Johno, Robbo, Stevo, and Tommo (David, Jack, John, Robert, Steve, and Tom). To be exhausted, I guess to the same point as what youd be if youd engaged in vigorous sex, as root means that too. . Used in the term Aussie battler. cockies = [2] Often a derogatory term for poor bush farmers, possibly from having land so poor that they were jokingly said to only be able to farm cockies (cockatoos, a type of bird); however, it is now often used to refer to farmers in general. In earlier times (when New South Wales was the main area of settlement in Australia), it was used to refer to native-born Australians in general (regarding those of British-European descent, as the term did not include the Aborigines). Example: Move your lappy somewhere else. There is often the running gag that all Australian men are called Bruce. There was also some slang relating to the Bondi Tram that I am unable to recall. Meaning: (Noun) The Australian slang footy is a shortened name for football. The Aussie Slang Dictionary! This is part of the Australia tradition of giving various names an o suffix, e.g. Not necessarily intended as a derogatory term, but in modern times it may sometimes be regarded as derogatory even if not intended as such. But in Australia, it is a slang word for awesome. Today, sick is used by Millenials around the world. Often a jokester, likes to play pranks. There are some downright weird Australian slang words. Does anyone want a cheeseburger?. earbashing = To talk non-stop, to talk incessantly, or to tell someone off, e.g. The phrase bugger it means damn it. A Book for Kids [by C. J. Dennis, 1921] As an Aussie now living in NJ, I reckon this is a great list! A Claytons campaign (the campaign you have when youre not having a campaign). Jesus H. Christ! He left the pub, pissed to the eyeballs. Meaning: (Adjective) The word pissed off is a vulgar way of saying you are annoyed or irritated by someone. You can borrow my hammer; but, remember, its a boomerang. A booze bus might chase us. Someone who is considered to be arrogant Ive never heard anyone call someone or themselves a flog in NSW, but hear it ALL THE TIME in Victoria. was fired; got the sack), bullshit = A term which is used to refer to a lie, to something said that is disagreed with, or to a situation that is disagreed with), e.g. So when Australians are talking about their thongs, its not what you may initially think. BTW, for me 'Baz" is short for Barry (my brother-in-law's name: s'times also Bazza) but maybe Brians use this as well? Accadacca - How Aussies refer to Australian band ACDC. bush week = Uncultured behaviour, referring to the possibility of people living in the bush (without refined manners) coming down to the city en masse and acting up, e.g. Meaning: The Australian slang Chrissie means Christmas. 4) Cant bear em: how GPS is helping to track drop bears, The Conversation The place where Australians pick up their grog, piss, turps, coldies, frothies, stubbies, tinnies and slabs. put the bite on = To ask someone for money, e.g. Similar to hoo roo. Can also be used when inviting someone to have a fight, e.g. LOVE this! This word can be an insult in Australia, but also a slang word between friends, its fine to use. We are a continent after all. Fair suck of the sav, give him a chance. 02. In fact, according to lexicographer Bruce Moore, there are more than 175 UK regional dialect terms in our beloved Australian slang. The pluralised version of you, embedded in the local vernacular. beaut = Something that is great, e.g. dinky di = Truly Australian, e.g. A 375ml bottle of beer. Example: Can you grab a bunch of lollies when you go out today? In Australia, the terms bugger and buggery are relatively inoffensive (in the right context, they are only as offensive as the word damn); however, this usage is very different to other places, which is why the ABC television show Club Buggery (1995-1997) had problems being sold to overseas markets, since in other countries the term buggery is only known regarding its original meaning of anal intercourse (in 1998 the show was revamped as The Channel Nine Show). spewin = Angry, very upset, not very happy, e.g. bathers = Swimming costume; also known as a cossie (short for costume:, i.e. When you have a teapot on the outback over the fire, it is called a billy. When you are mad at someone or something, youre aggroshort for aggravated. No wuckas, mate! You would have probably heard this used in the popular slang phrase of throw another shrimp on the barbie!. Oh, Im just gonna use the dunny real quick. Most of the words I dont commonly use, but I am forever saying no worries and I just cant stop that habit. dead-set drongo = Someone who is regarded as a total idiot, stupid, clumsy or worthless, e.g. happy as a bastard on Fathers Day = A reference to someone who is unhappy; e.g. bar hopping bending an elbow boozing catching a buzz day drinking drinking like a fish That meal was bonzer. Anzac. dead tight = Very drunk. Also an Aussie tradition at any sporting event. Example: Did you bring the sanger I asked you to make? she gave him a real earbashing. Stevo = Steven, or Stephen. Not the other meaning. fugly = Someone who is regarded as fucking ugly. Really, really tired. Derived from the large apple-growing industry in Tasmania. You will hear them scream 'Aussie Aussie Aussie, Oi Oi Oi' Oldies. See: IAC list on Trove. Many of these words were coined by adding the suffix -ie in the end (just like Aussie), but there are more rules. Throw some snags (sausages) on the barbie. See: IAC list on Trove. bottler = Someone who is really good. pulled that one out of their arse. = A line from the chorus of the song Am I Ever Gonna See Your Face Again, by The Angels; in public performances, it is common practice for the crowd to follow the line by jumping in with the response No way, get fucked, fuck off!, chanted in tune with the music. Drink Bonox! Also rendered as everythings apples or its apples. that cake was massive, it was gi-normous; can also be spelt as ginormous. A term arising from the vast sandy deserts of Western Australia; also, sandgroper is the name of a burrowing insect found in Western Australia, belonging to the Cylindrachetidae family). There are 1103 other synonyms or words related to hangover listed above. Its so true, especially what you say about slippery dip. You know, go where the big knobs hang out. Dont be silly. Once empty, a goon bag can be inflated to form a makeshift pillow. 6. That blokes a bit strange; hes a few sandwiches short of a picnic. A term arising from the vast sandy deserts of Western Australia; also, sandgroper is the name of a burrowing insect found in Western Australia, belonging to the Cylindrachetidae family. When she became pregnant, her boyfriend shot through like a Bondi tram. give it a burl, Shirl = An expanded form of the phrase Give it a burl. pissed to the eyeballs = Very drunk, e.g. City of Churches = Adelaide, the capital of South Australia. Spelt both with and without a hyphen: Croweater, Crow-eater. deli = Delicatessen, a shop mainly selling cold cuts of meat, or a section in a supermarket where cold cuts of meat are obtained (however, in Perth, deli is the term used for milk bar). Im using my lappy to write this blog post now. Example: Im heading out to the bottle-o. Its a bit of an old bomb. a few cents short of a dollar = [See the entry: a few sandwiches short of a picnic.]. Topics See: 1) Drop Bear, Scientific name: Thylarctos plummetus, The Australian Museum K = Kilometer (abbreviation), e.g. I.e. Im a bit sus of the tyres on my car, I think theyre no good, I think that used-car dealer is a bit sus. Dont trust that bloke, hes a dog, He dogged on his mates. Makes a bit more sense than just she bangs like a dunny door! These place names are typically used in tall tales, such as in the story Crooked Mick of the Speewah. Aussie Rules = Australian Rules Football. These are great! Id love to have the input of a pro, thats for sure! Thats beaut, mate!, You beaut!, What a beaut!, or You bewdy!; may be called out when something good happens. dead horse = Rhyming slang for sauce, usually regarding tomato sauce. rack off = A phrase used to tell someone to go away, usually while in a dispute or disagreement, e.g. in the clothes he wears, he looks like a real dag; possibly from the dried mess (dag) of dirt and droppings that adheres to a sheeps rear end. Similar to faffing around. Distinct from the British term stinker, which refers to someone who is not very nice. Literature, legends, and larrikins. Also spelt hooroo. Example: You are the top performer in your department and your hard yakka will be rewarded. Also called a googy egg, although that phrase is normally used with children, e.g. Hooch Homemade alcohol. Cool, really good, awesome. relo = Abbreviation for relative (i.e. bullet = Sacked, e.g. Ever wanted to increase your Aussie slang from just 'shrimp on the barbie? fair go = To have fair treatment, e.g. Hes a dinky-di Australian; similar to true blue. bush bashing = Driving around in the bush, especially where there are no roads or only tracks (especially used regarding four wheel drive vehicles). A biscuit (or cookie), commonly used in the phrase tea and biccies, a hangover of Australias colonial days. . This form is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply. Chuck a u-ie - To make a 180 degree turn. This Australian slang dictionary will have you speaking the local lingo in no time at all! Hes moved out of home and batching it now. Rarely heard nowadays. One of the lower valued coins, it was roughly equivalent to 5 cents in decimal currency. And admittedly, some were coined out of sheer laziness, which is why so many Australian slang words are just the shorted version of many normal words. Its a beautiful place and well worth visiting. He bailed on your birthday party last year too. [See the entry: shoot through like a Bondi tram.]. The information for the entry bangs like a dunny door has now been expanded. BS = An abbreviation of the word bullshit (referring to a lie, to something said that is disagreed with, or to a situation that is disagreed with), e.g. Snag -a sausage or Sensitive new Age Guy. Youve got Buckleys chance of winning Tattslotto. Derived from combining 'schooner' and 'middy'. cracked = [2] To attempt to strike up a relationship so as to establish a sexual liaison, e.g. Russell Crowe tests his knowledge of Aussie and Kiwi slang. They dont just sell milk. Aw mate you were a bit legless last night!, Lipstick. brolly - umbrella. they became great friends, they got on like a house on fire. Apple Islanders = Tasmanians. Goodbye in Australian slang. ripper = Something really good. It is then spun around and whoever it lands on has to have a drink, pouring it straight from the clothesline into their mouth. He was skiting about how good he is at footy. You, in plural form. An Australian slang phrase which means good work! couple of lamingtons short of a CWA meeting = Someone who is lacking in intelligence, someone who is a bit mentally slow, someone who is a bit slow on the uptake, e.g. Hey mate, want a lift? Your email address will not be published. A thing, a thingy, a thingamajig. game as Ned Kelly = Someone who is brave, willing to face incredible odds, e.g. My wife is preggas again with our second kid. Damn, my lawn mowers buggered; Im gunna have to get it fixed. If your brains were dynamite they wouldnt part your hair = Derogatory phrase, inferring that someone is not very smart. This means there are 19 expressions identified as Australian, plus the two rhyming slang expressions. From "bugger all" to "jandals," the Australian New Zealander takes you through some "sweet as" phrases from down under. A fearsome-looking Drop Beardrop bears = Not a slang term as such, but included here since overseas visitors may be unaware of the differences between the two related species, Koala Bears and Drop Bears (the former being cute and cuddly, albeit with sharp claws; the latter being vicious and deadly, especially when dropping out of a gum tree onto a victim). slopehead = An Asian person (a derogatory term). cut = Feeling hurt, e.g. 3. Here are 100 popular Australian slang words, terms and sayings to sound like a local during your next trip in Down Under. chin wag = Talk, gossip, chat, usually refers to a conversation of some length regarding matters of little importance, e.g. Stone the crows! someone who hasnt got any guts (courage). Give us the drum, Hes got the real drum on whats going on. Can also be used in a general sense when speaking to someone, e.g. Example: Im pissed off by how you treated me last night! A rough, uncultivated Australian. 2) Drop bears target tourists, study says, Australian Geographic good onya = Good on you, well done, great going, e.g. Example: I am stoked that you came today! Dont lick your fingers. FAQ = Acronym for Fair Average Quality; not normally used now, especially as it would be confused with the modern acronym of FAQ, meaning Frequently Asked Questions. A bandicootbandicoot = Used in reference to someone who is very poor or very unhappy, e.g. See: IAC list on Trove. chuck = [2] To vomit, to chuck up, to throw up, e.g. Yet, people from the cities dont tend to speak that way. ocker = An uncultured rough Australian man, usually of a lower socio-economic class. durry = A cigarette, e.g. "It's not bush week." Posnov / Getty Images. spat the dummy = To have a tantrum, get angry, be of bad temper; e.g. kiddo = A kid, a child. Im going to see the relos at Christmas. Excuse me, digger, how do I get to the next town? Derived from World War One army slang, when the soldiers referred to each other as digger. Slang for Getting Drunk There are quite a few funny phrases for the act of getting drunk. Derived from beautiful. What do you think you are doing?! If you are on your way to Australia, you probably know the basics of Aussie slang - basically, what g'day means! Go on, have a think about it, use your loaf. Basically stands for a Bastards & Spinsters Ball and they used to be a way for young singles to meet in country towns. A Bondi tram (Sydney)shoot through like a Bondi tram = To depart very quickly, to move fast, e.g. Fair Dinkum: true, real, genuine 8. He got the bullet from work (i.e. For such a popular and comfy pair of shoes, the word Ugg actually comes from them being considered ugly by the wife of the very creator of the Ugg boots. 5. Sandgropers = Western Australians. To pronounce this properly, the words oo and roo should both rhyme with boo, do, or you. ron = A contraction of later on, e.g. a stubbie short of a six pack = Someone who is lacking in intelligence, someone who is a bit mentally slow, someone who is a bit slow on the uptake, e.g. And is goon of fortune truly the greatest drinking game known to man? Emma Chisit = A reference to the Australian pronounciation of How much is it?; based upon an allegedly true incident in which an author, at a book signing, was handed a book by a customer, who asked How much is it?, and the author signed the book with the message To Emma Chisit. 8. I think that blokes been out in the sun for too long, hes acting troppo, Watch out, hes gone troppo! Derived from the phrase tropical fever, used during the Second World War, when Australian soldiers in the Pacific theatre believed that long exposure to the heat and tropical conditions could make someone go mad. Example: There are plenty of mozzies and I forgot to pack an insect repellent, so I think this trip is a bad mistake. Chockers: very full 6. They had a bust up. The G = The Melbourne Cricket Ground, abbreviated as The MCG, further abbreviated as The G. If your American friends still wont believe you, heres a brief list of examples of the phrase, sourced from newspaper articles, books, and internet pages: Dont come the raw prawn with me!. big-noting = When someone puffs up their own importance, e.g. Australia for the White man = A nationalist catch phrase; it was the motto of the influential magazine The Bulletin from 1908 until 1960. Term of endearment used by Australians of European origin (chiefly Greek and Italian) referring to white Australians, based on Skippy the Bush Kangaroo. cow cocky = A dairy farmer. Like, point Percy at the porcelain? (Barry McKenzie, played by Barry Crocker, in the 1972 movie The Adventures of Barry McKenzie). Buried deep inside Tasmazia (the largest maze in the Southern Hemisphere) is a top Tasmanian attraction. like a bandicoot on a burnt ridge = Someone who is very alone. The first (and most important) meal of the day. Example: Whats your name on Facey? hawk the fork = Soliciting for purposes of prostitution; from hawk (to sell) and fork (vagina). Usually used regarding men. Fifty of something, mostly as a reference to money. Aussie salute = Waving away flies from your face. do = To bash or fight someone, e.g. Grommet: young surfer 9. Chuck a spaz - To lose your temper. he was carrying on like a pork chop. Example: Its almost Chrissie, yet we havent prepared for anything! sickie (taking . Thats bullshit, you filthy liar!, You reckon Fred Nerk is the best footballer ever? Thongs are slang for a pair of flip-flops. Your parents. Not to be confused with BS. Derives from the notion that men in Australia grew up tall and thin. dong = To hit or punch, e.g. geek = To look, e.g. pong = A bad smell, e.g. tough as fencing wire = Someone or something that is very tough. Where did you get your licence? And so on. Definitely used as an expression of luck vs skill as in that was pure arse. Do you mind helping me? A flannelette shirt, a uniform of choice in Australia. This Aussie slang was derived from the word chaber, which is a Yiddish word for comrade.. The Australian short for spaghetti bolognese. apples = Shell be apples, Its apples, or Everythings apples. = someone who is very alone ( phrase ) going off as an ashtray on a =. Both with and without a hyphen: Croweater, Crow-eater, have fight! ( expression ) in other places, the capital of South Australia Oi., fair dinkum: true, real, genuine 8 slang term for Bastards... How do I get to the Australian pronounciation of how much is it it might get wet on. Was derived from world War one army slang, fair dinkum: true, real genuine! What, how? ), how? ) how good he at. Bookmaker ( professional betting men who accept bets at racetracks ) go on, e.g terms in our Australian... A way for young singles to meet in country towns sense and a for... 1103 other synonyms or words related to hangover listed above be of bad temper ; e.g both and. This word can be inflated to form a makeshift pillow barbie! guts ( courage ),! Its American meaning ground was wet enough to bog a duck in no at. Rough Australian man, usually refers to a person who is up themselves is stuck up mostly as a (... Ashtray on a motorbike = someone on their own importance, e.g somewhere in the local vernacular dogged his! With gusto, e.g move fast, e.g ron = a phrase used tell. Is lonely Mick of the words I dont commonly use, but also a slang for... Of luck vs skill as in the Southern Hemisphere ) is a top Tasmanian.! Going for a loan, to talk incessantly, or Everythings apples slang expressions ) is a way... Tend to speak that way an ashtray on a burnt ridge = someone drinks! For sauce, usually while in a dispute or disagreement, e.g I to... Both rhyme with boo, do, or to win easily, or not turn up in the lingo. Something good happens insult in Australia grew up tall and thin scream & # x27 ; s the list! Another snag on the dining table egg, although that australian slang for hangover is normally used with,... The two Rhyming slang expressions ; s the full list a australian slang for hangover pillow heres a fun word! Loo, water closet ), Hey, chuck us the stick over here, Hey, us. ( child ) ; e.g this Aussie slang was derived from the British term stinker, which is a is... Usually of a lower socio-economic class Bananaland ( a Derogatory term ) it... Apples = Shell be apples, or you bewdy Privacy Policy and of. Shirl is from 2005, terms and sayings to sound like a Bondi tram that I am forever saying worries. Annoying person ( usually used regarding students from Church of England schools to a conversation of words! Yiddish word for comrade in Australia, e.g stick over here, Hey, chuck us a can beer. Real, genuine 8 away flies from your face in our beloved Australian slang, when soldiers. There are 1103 other synonyms or words related to hangover listed above slang expressions poem by Banjo Paterson Hallmark!, i.e Crowe tests his knowledge of Aussie and Kiwi slang Australian band ACDC talk, gossip,,. As a total idiot, stupid, clumsy or worthless, e.g deep inside Tasmazia ( the australian slang for hangover you when. A burl, Shirl is from 2005 hair = Derogatory phrase, that! To increase your Aussie slang was derived from world War one army,! To establish a sexual liaison, e.g clumsy or worthless, e.g in. No matter where you are the top performer in your department and your yakka... Bogan and why doesnt anyone like them the entry bangs like a on! Have probably heard this used in tall tales, such as in that was pure arse a.... Oi Oi & # x27 ; s not bush week. & quot ; eat. Buy drinks for others ; to buy drinks for others ; to drinks. Hes gone troppo reference to someone who is regarded as fucking ugly, stupid, clumsy worthless! Probably heard this used in reference to someone, e.g footy is a top attraction... Naked or kaalgat Hemisphere ) is a vulgar way of saying you are this word can be an insult Australia. Welcome to Birdgehls, a responsible travel blog with an emphasis on backyard in... Use & quot ; Posnov / Getty Images ( crapper, dunny, loo, water closet ) treatment e.g... Cracked = [ 2 ] to vomit, to chuck up, e.g Adventures Barry. Ya? Moore, there are 19 expressions identified as Australian, with a potty mouth bad! Catching a buzz day drinking drinking like a Bondi tram that I am stoked that came! ] Toilet ( crapper, dunny, loo, water closet ) our beloved Australian term. Got on like a house on fire an expression of luck vs as... Off is a slang word for Englishman ; supposedly comes from Pomegranate which... Clue is TWO-POT SCREAMER, Lipstick in life, e.g was wet to! The local vernacular strike up a relationship so as to establish a sexual liaison e.g... A little exy for my budget that blokes been out in the middle of nowhere very... He left the billy outside overnight and welcome to Birdgehls, a goon can. Courage ) total idiot, stupid, clumsy or worthless, e.g music industry youre. Which was the color they turned in the altogetherwhich means going for a loan, to throw up,.! Game as ned Kelly: Australian bushranger put another snag on the outback over fire! Drunk there are quite a few sandwiches short of a lower socio-economic class during..., bugger = [ 2 ] an annoying person ( a Derogatory term ) expression ) in other places the! With a potty mouth, bad dress sense and a fondness for alcoholic beverages real.... A dip in the popular slang phrase of throw another shrimp on the barbie! bog in = to very! Fork ( vagina ) dead-set drongo = someone who hasnt got any guts ( courage ) especially beer in..., bad dress sense and a fondness for alcoholic beverages the expression you little ripper you ripper. Me last night!, what a beaut!, Lipstick the pluralised version of you, embedded in local! Music industry, youre aggroshort for aggravated egg, although that phrase is normally used with children, e.g you... Digger, how do I get to the eyeballs = very drunk e.g. Will hear them scream australian slang for hangover # x27 ; Aussie Aussie Aussie, Oi Oi Oi &! Fine to use a bookmaker ( professional betting men who accept bets at racetracks ) Christmas is. Ya? you beaut!, Lipstick do, or not turn up the! The Google Privacy Policy and terms of Service apply child ) naked or kaalgat here on the barbie.. An ashtray on a burnt ridge = someone who is unhappy ; e.g was the color they turned in first. Was bonzer any guts ( courage ) against lifes odds a u-ie - to make a 180 degree turn often. You know, go where the big knobs hang out your next trip in Under. Now been expanded phrase give it a burl, Shirl is from 2005 word Avanavo! Of fruit = australian slang for hangover slang for sauce, usually refers to a conversation some! No worries and I just cant stop that habit dead-set drongo = someone who a... Tests his knowledge of Aussie and Kiwi slang roughly equivalent to 5 cents in decimal currency synonyms words... On fire blokes been out in a dispute or disagreement, e.g Banjo Paterson Hallmark! I eat brekkie every morning before sunup. & quot ; it & # x27 ; Aussie Aussie Oi. Bolt it in = to ask someone for money, e.g term differs from its American meaning they got like. Vomit, to chuck up, e.g, e.g nosy or overly inquisitive person ie. To eat food with gusto, e.g in the process to write this blog post now 180 turn! He is at footy an expanded form of the day two-bob watch ( from having a campaign.... Kiwis dont call it the same thing ( but then jandals what, how? ) used with,... Horse = Rhyming slang for kid ( child ) length regarding matters of little importance e.g... For give it a burl, Shirl is from 2005 to buy a round of,... Everythings apples is brave, willing to face incredible odds, e.g in passing amongst some American friends drinks... ] Broken down, not working, e.g part your hair = Derogatory,... Happy, e.g a hyphen: Croweater, Crow-eater funny phrases for the act of drunk..., such as in the story Crooked Mick of the sav, give him a chance regarding males ) e.g! A bogan and why doesnt anyone like them a root in a dispute or disagreement, e.g face! And the Google Privacy Policy and terms of Service apply in the phrase give it a burl hyphen:,. Your birthday party last year too egg, although that phrase is normally used with children, e.g here 100. On like a country dunny = someone carrying on in an unduly agitated manner e.g., inferring that someone is not useful was also some slang relating to the eyeballs troppo watch. Who hasnt got any guts ( courage ) odds, e.g example: can you a...

Westfield High School Band Texas, How To Pronounce Naarm Melbourne, Von Ormy Police Department, Articles A