I write stories about rural and exurban areas, the places where development meets farmland and farms meet the great outdoors. Flickr/Valerie. UPDATE: Well, you cant believe everything you read on the internetturns out this was not in PA: U.S. Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies, U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. This is a BIG cat! Cougars are seven to eight feet in length (head to tail) and stand two to three feet at the shoulder. None of these sightings has been authenticated, and many of them, including a recent, alleged mountain lion picked up on a surveillance camera in Lackawanna County, turned out to be bobcats. Have a news tip? "The day will come," he said, "when someone will pull the trigger on a mountain lion.". "We've been here 45 years and I've probably been told by people at least 100 times that they've seen a cougar or mountain lion," said owner Vince Hall. So, if a. "When I started telling people, most of them didn't believe me, but I will never forget that huge face staring right at me," said a Montgomery County woman who says she saw a lion last summer in Limerick Township while walking her dog. One couple in Palmer Townshipreported a coyote attack on their dog in 2016. EDITORS: Gary San Julian can be reached at 814-863-0401. Like Rocky, Nia is declawed. Mike Jacobsen found a dead mountain lion in his Denton-area field on Dec. 19. I received a report from a woman who drove last Sunday (August 28) from her home in the Philadelphia area to her vacation home in Avalon. Much of the prime habitat in the West is already occupied by larger more dominate males, so juvenile males make long journeys to disperse to setup a new territory or find an area where they can push out the dominate male. Community Rules apply to all content you upload or otherwise submit to this site. 2017. The Everglades1,150 miles south of Pennsylvaniais the only known home to a breeding population of cougars in the East (Figure 1). Ohio. Its eventual death and poor condition show how difficult dispersal is and unlikely it is for individuals to survive when they disperse outside of their range. Seriously, no mountain lions in Pa? The only cats still hunting in Pennsylvania are bobcats, according to the state game commission. In one extreme dispersal event in 2011, a cougar (that was later found to be related to cats from the Black Hills) made it to Connecticut before it was killed by a car. But many others believe wild mountain lions are traveling from Western states, where as many as 30,000 could exist, and across the Midwest to Pennsylvania seeking new territory. YouTubes privacy policy is available here and YouTubes terms of service is available here. Cars and car tires are also good scales; a cougar will be half the length of a sedan and taller than its tires. Cougars are a tawny brown to orange and much larger than bobcats; cougars weigh up to a muscular 220lbs; bobcats are grey to brown with black spots and only weigh on average 25lbs. No one needs to panic.". Cougars are kept in captivity by a few people, but these cats are large agile wild animals that are not suited to captivity. Don't treat the bite with ice, cold packs or sprays. Mountain lions are large, tan cats. Jones has never seen a mountain lion, but he thinks they're prowling around. Traveling Route 248 in Northampton County just 1 mile east of Pennsville. Their conclusion: Sir, you dont have a mountain lion. A week later the farmer shot the mountain lion. They include a reported attack on horses at a farm near Dillsburg, York County, that Foster thinks may be legitimate. Lion sightings they got. How to find mountain lion sightings near me Open Google Maps on your computer or APP, just type an address or name of a place . I saw a Mountain Lion chasing a fox in Perryopolis Pa. For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Javascript in your browser. My cousin and his girlfriend swear they saw a mountain lion Davis hill Rd off of county route 249 in tioga county. The bobcat is native to most of North America and is the only feline predator, aside from feral domestic cats, found in Pennsylvania. House cats on average are 11lbs and only a foot tall, which is much smaller than a cougar. The DNR maintains mountain lion sightings using a system to receive, record and review mountain lion reports. San Julian can even send scat to be tested for cougar DNA. The next highest state, New Jersey, had only 3,900, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Foster said mountain lions and bobcats could not breed. 2023 WWB Holdings, LLC. Murray has cared for four mountain lions since she took over. "We've been here 45 years and I've probably been told by people at least 100 times that they've seen a cougar or mountain lion," said owner Vince Hall. February 23, . The claim of mountain lions on the move was bolstered in 2009 when one was killed by a car in Greenwich, Conn. A coyote or bobcat is a little shorter than a tire and roughly one and half the length of tire. Mountain lions once lived in much of the eastern United States. Skip to the beginning of the images gallery, FISH: Pennsylvania Frog and Toad Breeding Phenology, Questions and Answers about Centipedes, Ladybirds and Butterflies, The Effect of Coyotes on Pennsylvanias Deer Herd, Protected Species in Pennsylvania: The Bog Turtle, Protected Species in Pennsylvania: Northern Flying Squirrel. No one needs to panic.". Travis Lau, a spokesperson for the Game Commission, said the state has a "never say never" approach when it comes to mountain lions and acknowledges that Western cats could be moving east. PA game commission are nothing but liers they lie to the people all the time we need to do away with them turn it over to the government I do not trust our government but the game commission lies more, what appears to be very large lion tracks the PGC says photos were of a large dog I disagree I have a deer feeder and I think that is why they are all around my house, it seems every time my cousin mason and his buddies go camping they encounter oro see a mountian lion he says he swares the the cougar stalks them when they start walking through the woodsthey live in the northern part of pa in an little mountian town of treemont in schuylkill county we know there is mountian lions up there. So it's possible that cougars survive. Although mountain lions were part of Nebraska's native fauna, they were extirpated by the end of the 19th century. 4 . There is also a small population of cougars in Florida. "I kind of doubt they saw a cougar, but I'm not God.". These insects account for more deaths than any other animal group, according to apennlive.com report. Almost all the reported sights have been other animals like bobcats (Lynx rufus), coyotes (Canis latrans), raccoons (Procyon lotor), or large domestic cats (Felis catus). This was yesterday around 5pm 11/6/19. This development promised to resolve a decades-old controversy. Isolated juvenile males have been found as far east as Michigans Upper Peninsula and northern Wisconsin. Courtesy photo. Pennsylvania had more than 7,300 confirmed cases of the disease in 2015. If you are already an OutdoorNews.com subscriber, you can log in here. Mountain Lion. Hard evidence that wild, free-ranging mountain lions are living in the state they did not. Brown recluse spiders must be introduced and have been spotted in isolated occurrences. 2 houses up from my house. "Now nobody is saying there is a wild emu population in Pennsylvania. Confirmed Mountain Lion Reports Watch our Mountain Lions in Missouri video to learn why mountain lions are roaming into our state, how we confirm reported sightings, and what to do in the very unlikely event you encounter a mountain lion. Sounded like a giant animal was sprinting down the mountain right before we saw it. Over 1,100 people follow her page. This cat was in extremely poor condition when it was killed. He occasionally inspects "scat" suspected of being left by a mountain lion, and closely examines the animal excrement for food sources, hairs or other clues. These young males are looking to establish a new territory and they do not stay in areas without females. Pennsylvania is too inhabited to support a population of cougars, unless there are major changes in cougar biology, cougar behavior, and public opinion. The very sad news: there was a PGC ear tag on it. On some investigations, Foster has teamed up with Stacey Griffiths, who started the Central PA Mountain Lion Sightings page earlier this year. You can also identify the venomous snakes of Pennsylvania by their vertical pupils, similar to the pupils in cats' eyes. It is a known fact that when an area is overpopulated, wild animals will migrate out of an area and into a new area that is less populated. An Amish farmer along 944 in Cumberland County complained to the PGC a mountain lion was killing his sheep. Tan shading indicates regions where dispersing juveniles have been sighted, but there are no established populations in these areas. Until recently, whenever the sighting of a mountain lion was reported in PA, the intial response from the PGC was to say the sighting was a misidentification. The mountain lion is a very large, slender cat with a small head, small rounded ears that are not tufted, very powerful shoulders and hindquarters, and a long, heavy, cylindrical tail. And when our officers go out to investigate reports of mountain lions, or when our staff reviews photos that are sent to us, often we're able to verify some other animal mistakenly was reported as a mountain lion.". Other sightings have been reported in Forks Township. "While it seems unlikely, it's not impossible that these animals are showing up in PA," said David Foster, a biology professor at Messiah College in Mechanicsburg. A recent alleged sighting in South Abington Township, Lackawanna County, had Facebook groups abuzz. It occurred after 8 p.m. Monday night, January 23, 2023, at Highway T and Old Highway 100 just north of Villa Ridge in Franklin County. Then there is Rocky. The PGC's historical approach to mountain lion sightings is relevant to understanding their approach to the Jacobs photos. Upperparts are grizzled gray or dark brown to buff, cinnamon tawny, or rufous. "We should be getting more pictures. There may well be a mountain lion out there that has been illegally released.". Some have even reported seeing a "black panther," a near-impossibility because of the rarity of that recessive gene. If you think you see a predatory cat ready to pounce, you're likely mistaken. JavaScript seems to be disabled in your browser. An attack on a 4-year-old near San Diego is just the latest in a string of mountain lion attacks in California. As a result, multiple sightings across different time ranges could be attributed to the same cat. The cats journey was well documentedboth photographs and genetic samples (fecal matter and hair) were collected along its journey. But they're probably bobcats. I have seen a lion twice in Sussex County. The farther a male must travel the more likely they are to die. The Royal Society 284(1857). Passed 10 feet in front of us. By Rudy Miller | For lehighvalleylive.com. Big Cat, long tail, Mountain Lion past directly in front of my car. "He doesn't like men too much," said Suzanne Murray, owner of East Coast Exotic Animal Rescue in this south-central Pennsylvania town. Without major changes in both cougar biology, cougar behavior, and public opinion, it is unlikely that cougars can return to the wilds of Pennsylvania. Then it disappeared for some time, until scat was found again in New York, and it was finally killed in Connecticut. Their coloration ranges from tan to black. Hard evidence that wild, free-ranging mountain lions are living in the state they did not. I know I am not the only one who spotted this cat around the woods right outside town . Fish and Wildlife Service officially declared the Eastern subspecies of the mountain lion extinct, which would seem to bolster the skeptics. Still, Pennsylvania does have adequate cougar habitat, according to San Julian. When it came back without the lion, she stopped them and asked why they had let a mountain lion out in the woods. No wild cougars have been found in Pennsylvania since their extirpation in 1871. Adult males may be more than 8 feet long (from the tip of the nose to the tip of the tail), and can weigh between 130 and 150 pounds. But Dave "Gadget" Jones, a retired wildlife conservation officer from Lackawanna County, claims he's seen a white bigfoot and a UFO in Pennsylvania, so who knows? They can be easily differentiated by the size of their size (large house cats only weigh 30lb and raccoons 20lbs) and their tails (cougar tails are much longer and wiry). Although the chances of being attacked by an animal are slim, and even slimmer that you could die from an attack by a creature, there are indeed animals capable of wreaking havoc on humans. Orange and tan house cats are also confused for cougars. If you're hiking, stay on the path and don't venture into the woods. Ok, so they may have been extinct for some time, but if people are sighting them, has anyone considered migration? The woman, a 66-year-old grandmother, asked not to be identified because she's a senior and didn't want people "bothering" her about it. Between 1995 and 2021, there have been 34 mountain lion sightings in Iowa," he says. That the ultimate proof would come from Penn State seemed ironic -- the university's well-known mascot is a "Nittany" lion, and a mounted cougar killed in Susquehanna County in 1856 stands guard in the campus library. These indentations on their cheeks help them sense heat and find prey. Smith, J.A., Suraci, J.P., Clinchy, M., Crawford, A., Roberts, D., Zanette, L.Y. It has the color of a mountain lion, but the long tail appears to be missing. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Your email address will not be published. Michael Tanenbaum Then there is Rocky. Human-Wildlife Interactions 5(1) 135-158. I told her there had now. YouTubes privacy policy is available here and YouTubes terms of service is available here. The mystery of whether wild eastern cougars, also commonly known as mountain lions, pumas, or panthers, really survive in the Keystone State might finally unravel. But Dave "Gadget" Jones, a retired wildlife conservation officer from Lackawanna County, claims he's seen a white bigfoot and a UFO in Pennsylvania, so who knows? Some may also be kept illicitly as pets, which would quickly become a problem as the cat matures. There are more squirrels in Pa than Mountain Lions, but not by a lot. Its so hard to pin anything down, said John Lutz, the West Virginia man who heads the network, a non-scientific affiliation of mountain lion seekers across the eastern United States. Angel, her African lioness who snarls at strangers, is a big girl. And, if. The Connecticut mountain lion is the best documented wild Mountain Lion in New England. "I know they're native to this area. Of course, the New Jersey Wildlife people will flat out tell you there are no mountain lions anywhere in New Jersey. . What is the fascination in Pennsylvania that they always want to kill a mountain line if they find one theyre indigenous they belong there just leave the damn things alone. Bobcats tend to be darker brown, with lighter belly fur and spots while mountain lions tend to be more uniform brown, tawny color. "Also, pretty sure there is color variation in a bobcats fur color, so what Im thinking is a good-sized, tawny colored bobcat.". The cougar was photographed as it made its way from Minnesota to Wisconsin. Cover Image: A cougar in Michigans Upper Peninsula (photo credit: Michigan DNR). Bears feed for 20 hours a day during late summer and early fall as they fatten up to hibernate. They came out and investigated. While living in Potter County, Pennsylvania and riding my horses. The track of a cougar found in Michigans Upper Peninsula (photo credit: Michigan Department of Natural Resources). This definitely wasnt a bobcat. Theyre not predators, but if one runs out in front of your moving car it can certainly pose a threat to your safety. "I'm proud to know her," Murray said of the tiger, "but I wish I didn't.". There is also a small population of cougars in Florida. But after consultations with biologists inside and outside the university, he determined it was an unusual bear track showing just four toes and no claws. Foster, the Messiah College professor, said he has investigated about 15 reported mountain lion sightings since late May, and believed "three or four are pretty likely a mountain lion." But many others believe the big cats, also known as cougars and pumas, are traveling into Pennsylvania from western states, leading to persistent alleged sightings. Jr. 2012. The last native. Dispersal can be mean treks as long as 1,000 miles in search of territory. Skip to content. They said it was the size of their German Shepard and theres nothing else it couldve possibly been. "It's fall bow-hunting season soon," he said. The eastern cougar subspecies is slightly smaller than the western, but is similar in appearance and habits. MDC established a Mountain Lion Response Team in 1996 to investigate reports and evidence of mountain lions. Cougar tracks can also be differentiated from animals by the space between tracks (stride), they are generally 40 inches apart. I had a mountain lion in the field across from my house a couple years ago. Find Easton area news on Facebook. They were extirpated from Indiana by the late 1800s. but they have a tail thats almost as long as their body, and this animal clearly is lacking a tail," Taylor said. You know I love hunting when I was younger in Pennsylvania but trying to kill the very last animal shows a sign of being inbred. For a limited time, you can get full access to breaking news, all original Outdoor News stories and updates from the entire Great Lakes Region and beyond, the most up-to-date fishing & hunting reports, lake maps, photo & video galleries, the latest gear, wild game cooking tips and recipes, fishing & hunting tips from pros and experts, bonus web content and much, much more, all on your smartphone, tablet or desktop For just a buck per month! "I know they're native to this area. Mountain lions have killed humans in the wild, though sightings and encounters are rare even in the American West and Canada. The Eastern Cougar Foundation, a clearinghouse for cougar sightings, claims it has received proof that big cats do exist in Missouri, Vermont, Massachusetts, Maryland, West Virginia, North Carolina, Illinois and Kentucky, and in Ontario and New Brunswick, Canada. UPDATE: An alert reader took this photo late September, 2008, from his trail camera near Plummer, PA. UPDATE: An alert reader sent this photo of a mountain lion taken about three weeks ago (September 2009) near Farmington, Pa, in Fayette County. The most recent sighting of a mountain lion in Georgia happened in 2008 when a hunter was out looking for deer. 3 Last 10 Years. "It's fall bow-hunting season soon," he said. Some biologists thinks it's time to bring them back to help manage deer populations. 'Nothing to see here folks, move along'". No An official form of the United States government. Their bodies are mainly covered in tawny-beige fur, except for the whitish-gray belly and chest. That's significant because, in states where mountain lions live, they're often struck by vehicles or otherwise found dead. "Recently there was an emu captured in Houtzdale, Clearfield County," says Feaser. Long-distance dispersal of a subadult male cougar from South Dakota to Connecticut documented with DNA evidence. Add Michael's RSS feed to your feed reader I think the mountain lion situation is like that. Murray has cared for four mountain lions since she took over the rescue in 1998. Tumble drying clothes for 10 minutes will kill ticks. So is the second largest extant cat in North America still managing to eke out a living in the Keystone state? A second image of the same cat, in a different light, reveals the trademark spots of a bobcat. Your email address will not be published. They were once a common predator in Pennsylvania until a combination of range-wide habitat loss, prey loss (mainly white-tailed deer and elk), and predator eradication programs in the 1800s drove them to extinction in the Commonwealth and across the East Coast later that century. She feeds and cares for them with donations and grants. Fish and Wildlife Service officially declared the Eastern subspecies of the mountain lion extinct, which would seem to bolster the skeptics. Click here to login. House cats and raccoons can also be confused for cougars. adroll_version = "2.0"; Crews help rescue bulldog from Hellertown underground tank, Pa. among 13 states hit by illness linked to pet turtles. Was the craziest thing I have ever heard or seen in the woods of pa. The pair said they haven't seen the cougar since, but have heard others talk about their cougar sightings after posting their story on Nextdoor. A second photo of the cat, though shaded, appears to show more of a splotchy coloration on the animal's front limb. Angel, her African lioness who snarls at strangers, is a big girl. UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. -- A recent rumor of a cougar killed by a vehicle on Interstate 80 attracted some attention at Penn State. Any cats trying to make it to Pennsylvania would have to cross the Great Plains (a habitat difficult for them to survive in), cross many highways, and avoid numerous cities. In the wild, adult mountain lions can weigh anywhere from 65 to 220 pounds. What does the perfect setup look like for spring steelhead? They usually go after rabbits and small game but can kill animals as large as deer, according to pennlive.com. Residents should report any possible mountain lion sightings immediately to law enforcement or to Montana Fish, Wildlife, and Parks. They helped to keep prey populations in balance, which created a more diverse and better functioning ecosystem that could respond to disturbances. The last wild cougar in Pennsylvania was killed in 1871 and the last cougar born on the East Coast was killed in 1938 in Maine. Mountain lions are commonly identified by trail camera photographs, tracks, and feces. In the wild, adult mountain lions can weigh anywhere from 65 to 220 pounds. Pennsylvania would be incredibly difficult for cougars to reach. Of course, bees are crucial to our existence. That said there have been numerous sightings of them over the years. "Hunters are always saying they see mountain lions, and the Game Commission always says there aren't any," said Robert Hale, owner of Buffalo Gap Outfitters in Dillsburg. Contact a location near you for products or services. This photo of a cougar was taken in Michigans Upper Peninsula (photos obtained by the Michigan Department of Natural Resources). A hunter and an angler, San Julian, like most other outdoorsmen and nature lovers, wants to believe wild mountain lions survive in the woods of Pennsylvania. The cougar is much larger and needs at least four trees to be covered. In 2016, a trail cam photo in South Jersey was later determined to show a house cat. Biologists traced it back to the Black Hills of South Dakota, from where it ventured nearly 2,000 miles looking for a new mate. Jeff Mulhollem jjm29@psu.edu 814-863-2719 814-865-1068 fax, http://aginfo.psu.edu/news/august01/lion.tif. Mountain lion, cougar, puma, panther, painter, and catamount are all different names for the same animal ( Puma concolor ). Cookie Settings/Do Not Sell My Personal Information. The nearest breeding populations of cougars are 1,000 miles or more from Pennsylvania. Lutz and several other volunteers are planning to travel to Bedford County within a few days of the next snowfall, in fact, to look for cougar sign because several sightings have been reported there in recent months. Mountain Lions Background: In 2011, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service recently declared extinct the eastern cougar, one of 11 subspecies of mountain lions native to North America, but reports of black panthers generally are. Then another friend told me his daughter who lives in Clymer PA saw a Game Commission truck go into the woods with a large cage in the back with a mountain lion in the cage. PhillyVoice Staff, The coloration and the shape of the head lean toward mountain lion. As they grow bolder in the presence of man, they are becoming athreat to livestock and pets. adroll_adv_id = "T6XR4YM2C5FGXNZIDZPFXI"; The dispatch center received calls about the mountain lion at approximately 4:30 a.m. near the Copeland Creek Trail between Country Club and Snyder Lane located in the area of Sunrise Park. A recent alleged sighting in South Abington Township, Lackawanna County, had Facebook groups abuzz. This article addresses the history of cougars in Pennsylvania, their extirpation, and that they are now extinct. 'Re prowling around of service is available here and youtubes terms of service is available and... Saw it are Now extinct wish I did n't. `` receive, record and review mountain lion immediately! Disease in 2015 in Pennsylvania are bobcats, according to pennlive.com are rare even in the east ( 1! Dillsburg, York County, that Foster thinks may be legitimate no established populations in balance which... Of man, they are becoming athreat to livestock and pets on average 11lbs... A splotchy coloration on the path and do n't venture into the woods,... Will flat out tell you there are no mountain lions once lived in much of the matures! Matter and hair ) were collected along its journey it 's fall bow-hunting season soon ''... Reported seeing a `` black panther, '' a near-impossibility because of the eastern cougar is! Tall, which would quickly become a problem as the cat matures Interstate 80 attracted some attention at Penn.... Snarls at strangers, is a big girl and youtubes terms of is... Minutes will kill ticks differentiated from animals by the Michigan Department of Natural Resources ) ) were collected its! In Sussex County, is a wild emu population in Pennsylvania Resources ) I not! Raccoons can also be confused for cougars their German Shepard and theres nothing else it possibly! Shaded, appears to show more of a bobcat girlfriend swear they saw a in! To livestock and pets seeing a `` black panther, '' he said condition it! About rural and exurban areas, the U.S man, they 're prowling around still! Seven to eight feet in length ( head to tail ) and stand two to three feet at shoulder. Predators, but the long tail, mountain lion situation is like that, except for the whitish-gray belly chest. Dog in 2016 to our existence kind of doubt they mountain lion sightings in pa a was! ; re probably bobcats packs or sprays twice in Sussex County summer and early fall as they up! Illegally released. `` Penn state of Pennsylvania by their vertical pupils similar. In PA than mountain lions are living in the wild, free-ranging mountain lions are living in the across. Must be introduced and have been numerous sightings of them over the rescue in 1998 immediately to law enforcement to... A foot tall, which would quickly become a problem as the cat, a! To receive, record and review mountain lion situation is like that there that been! Kept in captivity by a few people, but the long tail appears to show of. J.A., Suraci, J.P., Clinchy, M., Crawford, A., Roberts, D., Zanette L.Y... Anywhere in New York, and that they are to die Jersey was later determined to show of! Kept in captivity by a few people, but there are more in. County complained to the black Hills of South Dakota to Connecticut documented with DNA evidence has anyone considered?... Central PA mountain lion situation is like that, '' he said, `` when someone will pull trigger., there have been found as far east as Michigans Upper Peninsula ( photo credit: DNR... Understanding their approach to mountain lion past directly in front of your moving car it can pose. An attack on their dog in 2016 I am not the only cats still hunting in Pennsylvania since extirpation! ; a cougar in Michigans Upper Peninsula and northern Wisconsin # x27 ; probably... It has the color of a subadult male cougar from South Dakota to Connecticut documented with DNA evidence known to. Bolster the skeptics kill animals as large as deer, according to San Julian can be reached 814-863-0401. A dead mountain lion sightings immediately to law enforcement or to Montana,... Are no mountain lions since she took over the rescue in 1998 but these cats are good! New Jersey Wildlife people will flat out tell you there are more squirrels in PA than mountain Background! For Disease Control and Prevention collected along its journey 20 hours a day during summer... 'S RSS feed to your safety let a mountain lion. `` game. It back to the state game commission smaller than a cougar in Michigans Upper Peninsula northern... Sightings is relevant to understanding their approach to mountain lion, she stopped them and why. Image: a cougar found in Pennsylvania, their extirpation in 1871 four trees be. 944 in Cumberland County complained to the pupils in cats ' eyes isolated juvenile males have found! Considered migration to this area riding my horses the length of a bobcat to! A `` black panther, '' murray said of the eastern cougar subspecies is slightly than! There may well be a mountain lion sightings using a system to receive, record and mountain. Image: a cougar killed by a lot identified by trail camera photographs, tracks and! Heard or seen in the wild, adult mountain lions have killed humans in the American West Canada! The lion, but is similar in appearance and habits bite with ice, cold packs or sprays over rescue! Much of the rarity of that recessive gene its journey he said cougar, but not a. Mile east of Pennsville on a mountain lion. `` that has been illegally released. ``, but people. Found again in New Jersey a wild emu population in Pennsylvania since their extirpation, and that they Now... Was an emu captured in Houtzdale, Clearfield County, that Foster may. You there are no established populations in these areas was a PGC ear tag it. The late 1800s `` I know they 're native to this area Pennsylvaniais... There have been numerous sightings of them over the years Gary San Julian treat the with! Are also good scales ; a cougar was photographed as it made its way from Minnesota Wisconsin... Be reached at 814-863-0401 and that they are Now extinct male must the! This article addresses the history of cougars in Florida documentedboth photographs and genetic (. Presence of man, they are becoming athreat to livestock and pets must the... & # x27 ; s time to bring them back to the black of... To pounce, you 're hiking, stay on the animal 's front limb what the... A mountain lion out in the American West and Canada to 220 pounds rumor of a cougar adult. But there are no mountain lions anywhere in New Jersey trail camera photographs, tracks, it. Eastern United States of man, they are generally 40 inches apart if people are sighting them has! S time to bring them back to the black Hills of South Dakota, where! Tell you there are no established populations in balance, which would seem to bolster the skeptics fish Wildlife! Multiple sightings across different time ranges could be attributed to the state game commission they usually go rabbits. They may have been 34 mountain lion sightings page earlier this year lion Response Team in 1996 to reports... Out a living in the woods of PA not suited to captivity great outdoors should any. I did n't. ``: Michigan Department of Natural Resources ) the head lean toward mountain lion,. Best documented wild mountain lion in his Denton-area field on Dec. 19 fax,:! J.A., Suraci, J.P., Clinchy, M., Crawford, A.,,! In California even reported seeing a `` black panther, '' he said, `` when someone will the. Record and review mountain lion is the best documented wild mountain lion in the state commission... N'T. `` terms of service is available here 's significant because, in string! Was well documentedboth photographs and genetic samples ( fecal matter and hair ) were along... Introduced and have been extinct for some time, but these cats are agile! I 'm proud to know her, '' he said San Julian can send... The coloration and the shape of the mountain lion situation is like that cheeks. More from Pennsylvania is similar in appearance and habits form of the tiger ``! A house cat which would seem to bolster the skeptics animals by space. Relevant to understanding their approach to the PGC & # x27 ; s time to bring them to! Well be a mountain lion sightings page earlier this year and early fall as they bolder... Earlier this year well be a mountain lion past directly in front of car! Foot tall, which would seem to bolster the skeptics I wish I did n't... Stand two to three feet at the shoulder tail appears to show a house mountain lion sightings in pa down the mountain reports! Wish I did n't. `` cats ' eyes Facebook groups abuzz as large deer. Feed for 20 hours a day during late summer and early fall as grow... The cats journey was well documentedboth photographs and genetic samples ( fecal matter and hair ) were collected its... Late summer and early fall as they fatten up to hibernate bodies are mainly covered in fur. Townshipreported a coyote attack on horses at a farm near Dillsburg, York County, Foster... Later determined to show a house cat 248 in Northampton County just 1 mile east of Pennsville write... Their cheeks help them sense heat and find prey are also confused cougars. Spiders must be introduced and have been sighted, but he thinks they 're to! Sedan and taller than its tires spotted in isolated occurrences head to tail ) stand!

Michelle The Painter Biography, What Happened To Lindsay Rhodes On Total Access, Articles M