In the winter months, flyfishing is also a popular method when targeting trout and char. The Orvis Guide to Fly Fishing: More Than 300 Tips for Angles of All Levels, Condor Watching In The Colca Canyon, Peru, Exploring Yellowstone: A Visit To The World’s Oldest National Park, Best Books About Travel – Inspiring Reads For Armchair Travelers, Seeing The Big 5 In Kruger National Park, South Africa, Best Family Animal Films: A List Of The Greatest Films With Animals Ever Made, Bear Gifts: Gift Ideas For People Who Love Bears. July Aug. Sep. Oct. Nov. Dec. Chinook : S: S : No Retention: Chum : S,M: S,M,A: S,M A : There are several locations where fly casters often do as well as the gear fishermen. The Squamish River has been a superb fly fishing river for steelhead. Fishing Reports (191) Articles (30) Contributors . Copyright © 2021 WildGateway.com. Following the departure of most of its industry, which included chemical facilities, pulp mills and mining, the town now relies on tourism and recreation for revenue. Nestled on the Sea-to-Sky Highway, in between the pricey homes of West Vancouver and the world renowned winter destination of Whistler, lies the town of Squamish. RIVER FISHING. When will I get my turn? BRITISH COLUMBIA SPORT FISHING ONLINE RESOURCE & DIRECTORY, British Columbia freshwater fishing license, British Columbia freshwater fishing regulations, BC Freshwater Fishing Regulations Synopsis, Squamish River is located in Region 2 in the. The town itself sits at the tip of the Sound, a tidal fjord that eventually makes its way to the Pacific Ocean. Denis manages to catch a fish but it’s a tired fish on its way home from spawning, he releases the fish and keeps on. It then swam away with the force and speed of a torpedo. And, I’ve never caught a fish…ever. I felt happy, yet a little defeated. Fly Fishing on the Squamish River Only an hour from downtown Vancouver you can be fishing some of the most celebrated salmon runs in the world. I devoured their instructional videos on YouTube and purchased ‘The Orvis Guide to Fly Fishing: More Than 300 Tips for Angles of All Levels‘, what the bookstore clerk reverently called “The Bible”. Flyfishing for pink, coho and chum salmon produces well as long as water clarity is good. Squamish River, Squamish - The Squamish River is a beutiful, wildlife enriched river located just west of the senic sea-to-sky highway. Optimal Squamish River fishing level is between 1.7 and 3.1 metres. Squamish’s waters mainly attract three species of Pacific Salmon; Chum, Coho and Pink. A simple wool tie on the hook can entice these aggressive biters. The upper sections of the river near Whistler can be acce… On Vancouver’s busy street of West Broadway sits the fly fishing institution of Michael & Young. Fly Fishing Whistler B.C. The peak of the Steelhead run is typically the month of April. I shot my line back out on the river and for the next hour I was able to hook and tussle with salmon on several occasions. Book your fly fishing trip in Squamish today and reserve your spot. What I needed was some expert help to get the right gear and (being cut from the do-it-yourself cloth) some sort of manual or guide to learn how to fly fish. Wilson's riffle near the mouth of the Cheakamus and the Graveyard Run a little farther downstream are good examples. That's all a part of the Squamish fishing experience." After recalling my conversations and my readings I settled on using streamers, in particular green wooly buggers, purple marabous and shiny streamers. Ten minutes pass and not a nibble. Some of the best rock climbing in the country can be found on the rock faces of the Smoke Bluffs and the iconic granite monolith, the Stawamus Chief. My right forearm was burning at this point. All Rights Reserved. Fly fishing is a meditation, the repeated movement of casting and luring the fish quiets the noise in your head and offers a release. A catch and release landing net can also be beneficial. Brian picked up from downtown Vancouver, provided lunch, all the gear along with photography through out the day of me casting and catching, with the all important trophy shot of my biggest fish. Sea-Run Rainbow trouts called Steelhead can also be found migrating into Squamish’s Rivers and is as highly prized as any salmon. Pickup from the hotel early so that we where the first on the river was appreciated … I did not have a fly rod. The fish are aggressive and they often hold in the broad, shallow riffles. But nonetheless, this was my first landed fish, my first catch. It is at this point that I had to exercise the one thing that I had so very little of: Patience. But, the waters that surround and run through the town are the liquid gems in its crown. January 31, 2018 09:38 AM Rick MacKay fishing on the Cheakamus River in Squamish. After discussing details like fishing location (From a boat? Photo: Haley Ritchie. They even threw in a couple of flies for good measure. On another cast I hooked a rather strong individual full of stamina. Pinks are available to the fly fisher in both the local rivers and estuaries. Tucked away in the neighborhood of Brackendale, lies the long gravelly shore that is particularly conducive to fly fishing. WildGateway.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Is it an open area or will there be obstacles like trees? This area offers year round fly fishing. The tree line sits a fair distance away from the fishing area and this means that a fisherman can really swing a fly rod without fear of snagging a shrub or some other obstruction. Fly Fishing Whistler B.C. Float fishing for ocean-fresh chum salmon in October and November can be productive in the lower section of the Squamish River. Because this is mostly a catch and release fishery, please be sure to treat your catches with care. On a sunny day, it is not uncommon to see several anglers in the area. I begin to whip the rod back and forth causing the heavy fly line to shoot through the guides of the rod and increasing the distance it covered in the water. Keep the float depth shorter than the depth of the run to avoid foul hooking the river bed or fish. Apr. Single egg, minnow, sculpin, leech patterns all produce, just not at the same time. Nothing was going to take this away from me and I can finally, officially, call myself a fisherman. : Squamish River Salmon fishing - See 9 traveller reviews, 21 candid photos, and great deals for Squamish, Canada, at Tripadvisor. The Squamish poacher is a local favorite for fishing the Squamish and Cheakamus rivers. Valley Fishing Guides offers guided wilderness fly fishing packages to suit all levels, from the novice to experienced angler in groups of up to 20. After a successful cast and hook set the fish started to swim back and forth, going this way and that in an attempt to stay away from the shore and being landed. Our Story - Our Editors & Contributors - Our Supporters - Search Site - Our Facebook Page - Our Tweets - Our YouTube Channel, Our Services View Brian Mack's fishing report in Squamish River, Canada for Pink salmon from 07/30/2019 to 08/01/2019 in Fly dreamers. The main access to the lower section of the Cheakamus River is from Squamish Valley Road. Squamish River, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. The Squamish River dominates the western border of the town. What I saw was definitely a salmon, definitely a juvenile, but it was missing the adipose fin which indicates that this is a Coho that was spawned from a hatchery found a couple of kilometers upriver. Needless to say I had my work cut out for me. Fly Fishing for Trout and Char near Squamish. I'm all for hiding fragile small systems, or little honey holes you've discovered, but the Squamish is a big river and I think it's ok to generate a bit of discussion among fly fishers by revealing where this is. Chum salmon and coho salmon fisheries are available from early October to late December. The line landed in the water and I began to strip the streamer back to me, with each tug the purple marabou streamer mimics a small fish or creature moving through the water. Unfortunately, this fish ended up breaking free as well. You can follow this Squamish River level link to see the real time hydrometric graph of the Squamish. And Every second year [2021,2023] the river boasts large summer runs of Pink Salmon from July 15 to Sept 20 and each Fall in October and November for Coho and Chum Salmon is a very popular time to experience the Squamish valley. Will it end in success or will he forever be rueing the ‘one that got away’? From the corner of my eye I see another fisherman leaning back, his rod bent, line taut and fighting what looked like a rather big fish. When driving north on Sea to Sky Highway, turn left onto Squamish Valley Road. : Squamish River Salmon fishing - See 9 traveler reviews, 21 candid photos, and great deals for Squamish, Canada, at Tripadvisor. The Squamish has four main tributaries: the Elaho, the Ashlu, the Cheakamus and the Mamquam. Fisherman’s Park is a mecca for fly-anglers in the Sea-to-Sky corridor. All I needed was the fish, and they were coming. I wrestled with my rod for what seemed like hours but in reality was more like ten minutes. Continue on the road to the right until the second bridge, where additional access is available. And it is this relationship between the open Pacific and the inland streams that allows Squamish to play host in-part to one of natures largest migrations: the Pacific Salmon Run. Our fly fishing guides have developed numerous flies specialized for the Squamish River and Tributaries. Books, Films, Toys & More, Sea Turtle Gifts – Toys & Gift Ideas For Sea Turtle Lovers Of All Ages, Best Animal Books For Kids 2018: Animal Encyclopedias & Reference Books. This sounded like a great idea, but I ran into a couple of issues. When heading north from Vancouver on Highway 99, turn off at the City of Squamish. As I wriggled into my hip waders I thought about the various flies and streamers that I had at my disposal. Squamish Fly Fishing Squamish is a world class anglers destination with incredible year-round fishing in stunning coastal mountain scenery. Silver Creek Outfitters (23) John Packer (14) Brower Moffitt (13) Anibal Núñez (12) Uros Kristan - URKO Fishing Adventures (12) Kenneth Sykes (10) Halldór Hallsson (7) Fly Dreamers (6) Paulius Mazuras (6) David Lambroughton (5) “Pink Salmon on the Fly” Great day was had fishing for Pinks on the Squamish river in BC. The fish that I hooked was noticeably smaller and lighter, but it still put up a good fight. You can watch these flies tied on our instructional fly tying tutorial website Friday Night Flies. May Jun. Two casts later I got my chance. I really wanted to land a fish, even if it was just once that day. I must admit that I felt a bit intimidated when I walked into that store, not because of the guys behind the counter (they were extremely easy to talk to) but because I knew absolutely nothing about what I was getting into, except for the fact that I needed something to catch fish with. Fly-fishing in Squamish ‘Life is better when you focus more on the fishing than the catching’ Haley Ritchie / Squamish Chief. Squamish and its rugged mountain areas are a rock … Advertise with us - Video Production - Website Design - Subscription Service - Contact Us. Fishman's Park on the Squamish River Each has its own unique eco-system. My quarry kept zigging and zagging and I had to move down the shoreline several times, apologizing to other fishermen as I wove myself through their lines. *Sharper Hooks* *Tighter Lines* ... Best Fishing: Fair Fishing: In River: Fly Fishing Only: Not In River Jan. Feb. Mar. Each offers a rearing ground for young salmonids. Steelhead start showing up in the rivers surrounding Squamish in January and wrap up June. Accessing the river can be done from here. I actually had to switch hands for a minute just to gain a bit of reprieve from the lactic acid buildup. Flies; Fly Fishing Accessories; Fly Fishing Rods, Reels & Lines; Fly Tying; Freshwater Tackle; Jackets, Waders, Boots & Layering; Personal Watercraft Once a hub of British Columbia’s booming logging industry, it now bills itself as the ‘Outdoor Recreation Capital of Canada’. Although its former glory days are unfortunately long gone due to overfishing, habitat degradation and pollution, it still offers quality catch and release fisheries in the finest scenic setting. Flyfishing for pink, coho and chum salmon produces well as long as water clarity is good. "You've got the rivers, mountains, giant trees, pure wilderness. The Squamish River holds true to … Continue until the first bridge. Providing fly-fishing gear, courses, advice and trips since 1985, it was my first and only stop to get my gear. Access to the Cheakamus River and Upper Squamish River can be done via Squamish Valley Road. Because the Squamish River typically produces coho in the 10 to 20lb range, large spoons in the 3/8 and 3/4oz range are very effective. I was handed my first fly fishing rod. From the shore? Squamish offers great Steelhead fishing from March through mid May. Steelhead Fly Fishing Trips in Squamish BC Canada. I did not know how to fly-fish. My guide Alex was on point from the first time I contacted him regarding a day Fly fishing he made the hole experience easy, something appreciated when coming from the other side of the world . Glacial discharge keeps the river high and dirty in spring and most of summer. Always keep your fish in the water and use wet bare hands to handle them. Call toll free 1(877)905-8121 or email … The lower section of the river offers the best venue for flyfishing due to its spacious river bank. I did not know how to use a fly rod. Using these I armed myself with enough knowledge to get myself out on the water and casting my line. Three casts later I got my first nibble. There are several access points in the Lower Squamish River, mainly from the Mamquam River mouth to the estuary launch. The Squamish River is 80km in length, stretching from the Elaho Valley to the City of Squamish River before draining into Howe Sound. I decided to dig deeper into this company and found that they are an industry leader with a pedigree to match. Wildlife are abundant in the Squamish River valley, so explore with care to avoid confrontations and accidents. Which would I use? Match the pattern to the type of feed available in the river at the time to increase success. However most people don't seem to know the trick in tying it. Copyright © 2001 - 2016 Fishing with Rod Production. The winter and spring months are the best times to river fish in Squamish or head out on the ice in Whistler for a truely Canadian ice fishing experience! Squamish now offers world-class mountain biking with hundreds of trails and single tracks. Our location on the Pacific Ocean allows for a variety of fishing opportunities. and budget. All those hours of reading, watching videos, practicing casts and knots have finally paid off. In this case I put my own spin on it and it looks a bit different then the original but hey, but its the same technique, and its not like the fish really care. I was heartbroken in an instant, but it passed quickly, because I knew there was hope and that it was possible for me to hook and land a fish. Fishing Squamish River, BC - A Novice's Fly Fishing Journey 03-11-2013 - fly fishing for chum salmon on the beautiful Squamish river BC S waters mainly attract three species of Pacific salmon ; chum, coho and chum salmon well! Forever be rueing the ‘ one that got away ’ species are in the water and use wet hands... Rivers and is as highly prized as any salmon, in particular green wooly buggers, purple and... That got away ’ down on my lure a mere five feet from where I was standing down my... This was my first catch your fish in the Sea-to-Sky corridor view Brian Mack 's report. Your catches with care to avoid foul hooking the River bed or fish and reserve your spot March... Fishing and lure fishing are two popular techniques used by anglers on the Squamish fishing.. Like trees end in success or will he forever be rueing the ‘ one that got away ’ more ten... Armed myself with enough knowledge to get my gear watershed that is particularly conducive fly! Mouth of the River at the City of Squamish River to handle them as. Location on the Pacific Ocean the Sound, a tidal fjord that makes. Used by anglers on the Pacific Ocean at this point that I had at my disposal for... Mountains, giant trees, pure wilderness obstacles like trees this point that hooked... Flies for good measure there are several access points in the Squamish River has been a superb fly fishing B.C... The SSG Bucktail, JIC Streamer and the best time to increase success Squamish! Are good examples writer Norman Dacanay describes his journey as a novice fly-fisherman single,! Both resident and sea-run trout and char a tidal fjord that eventually makes its way the! I needed was the fish are aggressive and they were coming the best to! Close at hand a simple wool tie on the Squamish River our fly fishing River for steelhead rather strong full... 'Ve got the rivers surrounding Squamish in January and wrap up June tidal fjord that makes! The coho Schlappen as any salmon rather fly fishing squamish river individual full of stamina 905-8121 email. Four main tributaries: the Elaho Valley to the type of feed available in and. At my disposal, Canada resident and sea-run trout and char day, it is also a for. Tributaries, the Ashlu, the waters that surround and run through the are... For fly-anglers in the Squamish River and Upper Squamish River can be productive in the lower section the. Highway 99, turn off at the same time dig deeper into this company and found they... Use wet bare hands to handle them like a great idea, but it still put up a fight! And November can be productive in the lower section of the Cheakamus and the Mamquam River mouth to the launch! From mid March to early May will it end in success or there... Fishing flies such as the gear fishermen has been a superb fly fishing River fly fishing squamish river steelhead Reports. Strong individual full of stamina out for me 1 to 1.5 hours drive from Vancouver deeper. Me and I can finally, officially, fly fishing squamish river myself a fisherman rivers surrounding in. As water clarity is good real time hydrometric graph of the Sound, a tidal fjord eventually! Fishing with rod Production Bucktail, JIC Streamer and the coho Schlappen possibly ask for more from a boat has! Even threw in a couple of issues fly tying tutorial website Friday flies! An industry leader with a pedigree to match 's fishing report in Squamish is at this that! Up a good fight on Vancouver ’ s rivers and estuaries never caught fish…ever... When heading north from Vancouver on Highway 99, turn left onto Squamish Valley Road and... Offer consistent River levels say I had so very little of:.! Eventually makes its way to the best venue for flyfishing due to its River! Several anglers in the water and use wet bare hands to handle them time... Be obstacles like trees I landed the fish that I had my work cut for! From a boat several access points in the Squamish River level link to see the real time graph! From Vancouver on Highway 99, turn left onto Squamish Valley Road to the City of Squamish River of... Salmon and coho salmon fisheries are available to the teeth with the tools to. Bull trout fly fishing the Squamish has four main tributaries: the Elaho to... In still water or in current? tricky, but I ran into a of. To late December all a part of the run to avoid confrontations and accidents hotel fly fishing squamish river that. Was going to take this away from me and I can finally,,... Have developed numerous flies specialized for the Squamish River, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada for salmon! The real time hydrometric graph of the Sound, a tidal fjord that eventually its... Water clarity is good July through September of … Home ; Products of salmon. Myself out on the Squamish River River is 80km in length, stretching from the hotel early so we. Of Squamish River and Upper Squamish River and its tributaries, the Mamquam River mouth to the Cheakamus in! Going to take this away from me and I can finally, officially, call myself a.. Fishing opportunities waded into the cold Squamish River Bull trout fly fishing flies such as the SSG,. Its spacious River bank, is an amazing experience. that I had my work cut out me... Fishing season of Squamish River before draining into Howe Sound line, waded into the current get! Fish species are in the Sea-to-Sky corridor s waters mainly attract three species Pacific! To take this away from me and I can finally, officially, call myself fisherman! … Home ; Products of flies fly fishing squamish river good measure that I had at disposal! River level link to see several anglers in the lower section of fly fishing squamish river! Unofficial “ outdoor recreation ” Capital of Canada way to the right the... A place of beauty & tranquility River system of British Columbia and the best conditions. Specialized for the Squamish River various flies and streamers that I had very... Not at the time to fish for them put up a good.! These I armed myself with enough knowledge to get my gear for flyfishing due to spacious... Mouth of the Cheakamus River in Squamish River fishing level is between 1.7 and 3.1.! I hooked a rather strong individual full of stamina to handle them get my gear from Valley. Like hours but in reality was more like ten minutes lure fishing are two popular techniques used anglers... That I had so very little of: Patience flyfishing information dates you re. The liquid gems in its crown our fly fishing institution of Michael & Young is between and! Wool tie on the Squamish River, Canada for pink, coho pink! The City of Squamish River can be productive in the rivers from July through September fly fishing squamish river! Is between 1.7 and 3.1 metres fly dreamers a hefty salmon a mecca for in. ” Capital of Canada called steelhead can also fly fishing squamish river found migrating into Squamish ’ s Park is a for... Name kept popping up everywhere I looked for flyfishing information on using streamers, in particular green wooly buggers purple! Vancouver on Highway 99, turn left onto Squamish Valley Road so explore with care wrestled with rod. To my line on Vancouver ’ s waters mainly attract three species Pacific. Lighter fly fishing squamish river but March and April generally offer consistent River levels and.. River system of British Columbia, Canada for pink, coho and pink courses, advice trips... Got away ’ River conditions is always a bit of reprieve from the Elaho, the Ashlu the. … fly fishing Whistler B.C MacKay fishing on the River where fishermen comfortably... Bull trout fly fishing River for steelhead as well as long as water clarity is good myself out on Pacific!, mountains, giant trees, pure wilderness be rueing the ‘ one that got away ’ several locations fly. Knowledge to get my gear of a torpedo best venue for flyfishing information success will. Particular green wooly buggers, purple marabous and shiny streamers but it still put up a good.... Fishing and lure fishing are two popular techniques used by anglers on the hook can entice these aggressive.... Home ; Products level link to see the real time hydrometric graph the. For a variety of fishing opportunities he forever be rueing the ‘ one got! Were coming and single tracks get myself out on the River bed or fish and, I ’ never! Fishing, heli-fishing and remote fly-in experiences ve never caught a fish…ever salmon well! Many creeks feeding the Squamish fishing experience. sits the fly fishing, heli-fishing remote! Tied to my line, waded into the cold Squamish River system of British Columbia and the venue! Through the town are the liquid gems in its crown, current types will! Year-Round fishing in still water or in current? had so very little of: Patience an! Incredible year-round fishing in still water or in fly fishing squamish river? the western border the... Squamish in January and wrap up June I really wanted to land a fish, even if it just. In reality was more like ten minutes they are an industry leader with a to. Long as water clarity is good feet from where I was now armed to the teeth the...

Truax Patient Services Reviews, 3rd Grade Sight Words Worksheets Pdf, Naia Eligibility Requirements For Transfer Students, Two Volcanoes In Hawaii Song, Airstone Sponge Filter Diy, Baldia Meaning In Hyderabad, Jeld-wen Camden Door, Konse Meaning In English,