My first Ironman triathlon. What race to choose, what plan to follow, whether or not to hire a coach, what training group to join, etc. Seeing the buoys in the lake on Thursday also eased my mind a little. My First Experience with Strippers – Timberman 70.3 Ironman. My First Ironman Experience. As the race got closer Sophie started to do more brick training: she combined two disciplines in one workout, one after another with minimal or no interruption in between them. Prior to training, I had never run more than two miles at any given time. Anxzayity. IRONMAN is a totally different animal and even if you are a seasoned runner, set yourself up for success by limiting the expectations that you put on yourself. Archived. California 1/2 Ironman: The run was my biggest fear. I can’t begin to explain to anyone the chemical, emotional, biological, physiological and mental transformation that has taken place within me. I cannot wait to bring that fish line experience back to life again. By now you have put in the months of necessary training, you have your nutrition dialed in and you are well-rested at the starting line waiting for the cannon to go off. If it is a mass start and you’re really not comfortable swimming with the swarm, hang back a bit before you head into the water. It was a very slow and gradual progression for me. That way once the race is over and you know if you want to take a little break from training or set a new time goal and sign up for the next race right away, you’ll have a plan and be making smart decisions. BRATs is full of Ironman finishers at all levels, and BRATs works with first timers to those wanting to get on the podium or to Kona every day. Race day goals should be simple for a first timer: “Just finish and enjoy the race.” That’s it. I share these lessons not only as my personal experiences, but also as the advice given to me from all the various Ful-on-Tri members who have been so kind to share their experience with me this season. My First 140.6 Ironman. 15:20 after I started, I crossed the finish line with my kids and realized my dream. Sign In Register Settings Sign out My account Subscribe Search Subscribe News. Give us a little insight into your background. July 24, 2016 – Ironman Canada: My First Full 140.6 Experience. No girl. I say we, because it was a joint family and coach decision. I … I immediately registered for the race and began a 10 month lifestyle that must have driven my loved ones nuts. Here is a look at the different things you can expect before, during and after your first IRONMAN experience: As you commence your IRONMAN journey you are immediately faced with a few critical decisions. Then it got really ugly. Training gear, bike, nutrition, accessories, training races, wet suit and shoes are all things to budget for. 7. Nobody will be surprised to know that Daniel loves challenges. It was a dark and stormy morning too. These “host hotels” typically have a discount for race participants, pre-race dinners and are ready for athletes on race morning with breakfast and transportation if necessary, which can save you additional costs you would incur if staying farther away on the cheap. This video is all about my training for my first ever full distance Ironman race (Ironman Hamburg 2017). The second loop got tougher and between miles 16 and 18 I started the game playing with myself. She came to me last year with a vision and a goal to complete her first Ironman. As I picked up the sight of the finish line, I saw my two daughters standing at either side of the shoot. We could hear the cheers and race announcer Brad Rex’s voice echoing through the streets. My first ironman experience. By Annabel Luxford. This is more of a ‘reference’ post for myself to sum up what I should improve and pay attention in my future races. By Admin Athlete Stories, Blog, General Post Coach Joe, Ironman coaching, Ironman Louisville, Laurie Schubert, Mental Toughness, Nutrition Coaching, Triathlon Coaching 7 Comments. If you have a chance to warm-up, take it. Last Sunday, the big day finally came around. I even ordered the prior year’s race video just so I could watch it over and over again. hide. Sunday, September 11 th was my first half ironman distance triathlon in Aurora, Colorado at the 11th Annual Harvest Moon.If you had told me last year that I would be racing a 70.3 (as they’re commonly referred to in triathlete circles), I would have thrown my arms up and said, “No way, not me. It took me almost 30 minutes to stand up and I told myself "AYOKO NA!" Sort by. R5: I have a bit over 100 hours of gameplay, so I decided to finally go for an ironman game. Just remember to make sure the car is big enough to fit your bike and gear. My first ironman experience. But one never knows what physical or mechanical surprises lie ahead that could stand in my way. I've been grinding otherworldly beings from ranged level 27 to 45 now. However, I remained calm and focused and had a decent swim. I guess the true beginning of my quest would have to be the very first Hawaii Ironman Triathlon that I watched on TV. My First Ironman Experience – Part 1 20 Apr. And when in 2013 climbing Mt Fuji in a crazy 24 hours Sea-to-Summit (meaning, well, climbing 50kms and almost 4000m altitude difference in 24 hours) I met James Baird, I knew I met even bigger challenger than me. You always want to leave your first event of any distance happy and energized to improve and continue with that distance. The finish line of an IRONMAN event is indescribable. What a feeling. and, "a bit ambitious?" A 1.9 km swim in open water, a 90 km ride on a racing bike and 21 km of running. At that time, I  hated running and had never run more than five kilometers before. Find helpful customer reviews and review ratings for My First Ironman: From Dream To Finish. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast. I’ve got my mind set on the Ironman 70.3, which is not a short distance by any means. A 1.9 km swim in open water, a 90 km ride on a racing bike and 21 km of running. Overall, I think I did good, finishing in 10:48:05. I watched the countless Ironman athletes come through my studio doors and I would always go home and say there is No WAY! After your first event your coach can work with you to set strategic goals based on your training and outcome of the first to set realistic but challenging goals for the next one. Carpooling and driving the bike course on Thursday helped ease the fear of the unknown. Refocus on the task at hand, stay hydrated, don’t lose motivation and lean on your fellow athletes and supporters to energize you to the finish. On possibly one of the best autumnal days Melbourne could offer, I embarked on the biggest challenge of my fifteen years as a professional triathlete – Ironman Melbourne (3.8km swim, 180km bike, 42.2km run). Work backward to find a race that will set you up for success during your training season. Notify me of new comments via email. share. I guess the true beginning of my quest would have to be the very first Hawaii Ironman Triathlon that I watched on TV. I gazed around hoping to catch a glimpse of family, but I didn’t spot anybody. By Annabel Luxford. By sharing her experience, we hope to increase the transparency for others interested in Becoming an Ironman. YBN_Zay Well-Known Member. 8/29/2006. As an IRONMAN athlete myself whose roots were set firmly in the sport of running, I can totally understand the curiosity of an IRONMAN event to a runner. My First Ironman Experience Reflections on my experience during my first Ironman triathlon. So, what did I do? Leave a reply. The motivation behind my first Ironman Ambassadors Community. 100% Upvoted. metalcupcake5 Active Member. It’s been on my bucket list to do a 70.3 but I thought it might be a good idea to try one as a relay first so I could get a feel for the experience. I guess the true beginning of my quest would have to be the very first Hawaii Ironman Triathlon that I watched on TV. When this happens, take a deep breath, trust in yourself and keep your sights on the bigger picture: You will be an IRONMAN! With that said, make sure your training plan has some downtime which you can dedicate to your family. As I looked up I realized that I was taking water from my 12-year old daughter who was volunteering. I have practiced sports my whole life. This is your moment, take it all in: YOU ARE AN IRONMAN! From registering to racing and everything in between, here's a basic overview of what you can expect (and some questions to ask yourself) during your first IRONMAN experience. You know what the finish will mean to you. Although I was intrigued and I understood the concept on an intellectual level, I really didn’t feel it at the time. I train for my first IRONMAN full distance – 2.4-mile (3.86 km) swim, a 112-mile (180.25 km) bicycle ride and a marathon 26.22-mile (42.20 km) run, and my fourth triathlon ever. Triathlon is not a cheap sport so plan accordingly. I became a student of the event, watching, reading, asking questions. I was really here, at the start of an Iron distance race. But it served as motivational training fuel. Make sure they understand that for the next few months you will need their support to focus on training. Ironically, the only major race that I didn’t write up a race report for last year was also the longest race of my entire racing career so far! This translated in my head to “Let the party begin”. Within the first 300 meters of the swim, I was punched in the nose and kicked in the chin. Last year I was signed up to compete in Ironman NC 70.3 as a relay team. My first Ironman Experience Published on June 13, 2018 June 13, 2018 • 23 Likes • 6 Comments. By sharing her experience, we hope to increase the transparency for others interested in Becoming an Ironman. But eventually I did. The aid stations were great. Wetsuits: They come in all price ranges, and generally speaking the less expensive models lack flexibility and don’t feel as natural as the premium models. You will be in no condition to spend time packing up a bike post-race, and it’s worth the money to be able to use that time celebrating with loved ones. As the Asia Pacific Championship event, the field was star-studded with World Ironman Champions, Half Ironman World Champions, … Continue reading My First Ironman If things don’t go as planned, don’t panic. This is the moment when it is critical to pace yourself. As the Asia Pacific Championship event, the field was star-studded with World Ironman Champions, Half Ironman World Champions, … Continue reading My First Ironman I found my wife and friends and we all shared in the victory. In fact, the whole damn week had been dark and stormy. I tried my best not to get attached to it and avoid making any ‘official’ predictions – both … You’ll likely have to pay a premium, but it is worth it on race day. Follow Coach Frank on Facebook and Instagram. As the course flattened out, the afternoon winds prevailed. I found a training plan on their website that enabled me to compare my training against their recommendations.'' First Prev 2 of 3 Go to page. In 2018, I did my first half-Ironman at 70.3 Muskoka in July. Prior to training, I had never run more than two miles at any given time. As we did, the noise picked up. level 1 . I grabbed what I needed and was on my way. At this point it has been a long day. https://www.trainingpeaks.com/blog/what-to-expect-for-your-first-ironman Always make sure you are breathing and relaxed. But before you are able to enjoy that feeling, a slight 140.6-mile obstacle stands in the way. Facebook is showing information to help you better understand the purpose of a Page. You’re absolutely right. Mission Accomplished! I strongly recommend this service. It is normal with all of the excitement and given that the legs have been used to the high cadence of the bike. At this moment all you can do is trust in your training, enjoy the day and take it all in. Everyone has his or her reasons for being there. I really feel in my element with endurance triathlons now and am excited to continue with what I feel is the start of my Ironman journey. Is that so much to ask? My personal posse was up to 10 people including my wife and two little iron girls. Discussion. save. Some more common than others, but everyone has a reason. All in, you should allocate a total budget of about $3,000, depending on the location of the event. That being said, a power meter or a heart rate monitor can help your coach identify your training needs more efficiently, and might help you pace better during the race, so if it is within your budget, consider investing in one or the other. And eventually, it began to come around. 7. My First Ironman: The Experience Published by wmmcdonald73@gmail.com on October 26 , 2012 October 26, 2012. by Judy Weisseg (newsletter 10/31/12) The Beginning It is hard to believe that just about a year ago, WE decided I would do the Full ironman at Beach 2 Battleship. So even if you are feeling amazing on the bike, take a step back and realize that you have a marathon coming up soon. The next few hours were a blur. My First IRONMAN (Relay) Experience Posted on May 20, 2019 May 20, 2019 by Ashley Edwards Last year I was signed up to compete in Ironman NC 70.3 as a relay team. best. Is that so much to ask? Athlete. I can’t say enough positive things about the aid stations and support. This thread is archived. You will be spending a lot of time on the bike so it needs to be very comfortable and fit you well. I’m now officially an Ironman and very satisfied with my first attempt at the distance. Original Poster 2 years ago. I started getting confirmation back from family members and friends that they were planning on making the pilgrimage from Philadelphia to Florida with us. I really feel in my element with endurance triathlons now and am excited to continue with what I feel is the start of my Ironman journey. Mark and I gapped for the first time since we started the run, so we could each enjoy our own personal moment of glory. At one point I went for some water at an aid station and heard the words “Yeah DAD”. Close. This is just a matter of experience. Many coaches say that an IRONMAN race doesn’t really begin until about mile 90 of the bike. Every stroke I grabbed someone and every second someone tried to take my ankles. My first Ironman Triathlon experience Prologue. My first full distance IRONMAN is in the books and what an experience it has been. Archived. That’s what I want to cover. I must admit that the beginning of the swim was a bit rough. Remember, it’s a long day out there so one little obstacle shouldn’t make or break your race. 'My First Ironman' is a really inspiring read and follows Stutisheels Lebedev's journey into his outstanding first attempt at the long distance triathlon. 75 likes. The Home Ironman Experience (my first triathlon) Share: [Unofficial MARATHON #1 / Triathlon #1 / 4 April 2020] It was a dark and stormy night. I draw parallel lines between the challenges we face in sport and those we face in life and try to use my involvement in the multisport world as a tool to encourage people to break through barriers and understand that all things are possible. It was a dark and stormy morning too. No girl. They probably won’t get it. But also believe everything they say about this race being one of the most gratifying things you will ever experience. Think about the weather where you will be training and the weather at the race location when selecting an event. I’m not exactly sure which year, but I feel like it was 100 years ago. I’ve got my mind set on the Ironman 70.3, which is not a short distance by any means. To be honest, I did have a vague theoretical time goal in mind. More than likely, it was probably around 1982 or so. Over the years, my racing and bike riding began to intensify. By Steve | Published: August 21, 2007. 10 Sep. My First 140.6 Ironman. You will learn so much while participating in your first event that the best thing to do is just take mental notes for the next IRONMAN event you do. Instead, focus on getting a feel for all three disciplines, it is easy to distract yourself with power meters, fancy heart rate monitors and sweet aero wheels. On your first finish line, I suggest not sprinting toward the end, but instead just jogging through, giving high fives to the crowd of spectators and setting yourself up for the best finish line picture you can get. Be prepared to drop some cash. For example, she would swim 2km, … 7.3 Things I Learned From My First 70.3 by Malia Crouse-Mullen. Encouraging words from friends, family members and co-workers kept me moving. My first ironman experience. Spend some time with your coach during your taper to begin considering what’s next. Once they saw me, they ran to my side and each grabbed a hand. Are you hoping to become an IRONMAN this year? Still, I had no one but myself (and some bat-eating bastard in Wuhan) to blame for the predicament I now faced. Close. I knew my swim would be slow, but that didn’t matter. There is no such thing as a silly question. With each passing loop of the lake we would come back to our waiting families and friends as they continued to fuel our motivation. Keep it simple, you will have plenty of time to get all the toys next season. My first Ironman triathlon was IRONMAN Austria-Klagenfurt 2019. Frank currently lives in Tulum, Mexico and is fluent in English and Spanish which allows him to coach athletes throughout the world. My daughter placed my medal around my neck. The energy and emotions will flood your body like nothing you’ve ever felt in your life. And that is so true. Fortunately, my wife took a keen and vested interest in my passion. SkyLea MOE Member Joined Sep 9, 2018 Messages 66 Reactions 129. I was fortunate to have my brother Jon by my side to guide me through pre-start mayhem. Race entry fees are about $600, and if you add in flights, hotel, transportation and gear shipping you’re easily hitting $2,000. Sometimes we just ran or walked in silence. Original Poster 2 years ago. … And if someone needs to ask you why you would want to do such a thing, don’t even waste too much time on your response. One of our original coached athletes, Chris Keysor, aka Gator, took a huge risk racing his first Ironman – Ironman UK. I’m not exactly sure which year, but I feel like it was 100 years ago. The more nervous I got, the harder I would train. Once you arrive at the race, your bike and gear will be waiting for you and at the end of the event they will pick up your bike and gear and ship it back home. First ironman experience [Story] 6 comments. I am turning into one of those. I cannot wait to bring that fish line experience back to life again. Race Report: Ironman Australia – My first Ironman Experience. In and out of the saddle, I made my way up and down the scenic roads. First ironman experience [Story] 6 comments. The mass start led to a lot of contact. As the sun set and the race really started to spread out, we realized just how dark and lonely the iron distance could be. My First Ironman. Let me first start off this blog by saying that I was one of those who said for years that I would NEVER do an Iornman. I hear you all – shouldn’t you first finish a half Ironman? Adjust and adapt to the situation. That’s what I want to cover. Well over 400 of them killed, and still no cosmic talisman. In Part 2 of this series Liz will dive into what it was like to have a coach through this process. First Bonemerang on Ironman? You will have already planned for that situation and can handle it and move on without an issue. IRONMAN France is unique in the way that all 2.800 competitors line up at the beach and start at the same time, with one goal, that first buoy...3,2,1 BAM!!! Then someone turned me onto the Great Floridian Triathlon. Discussion. The day began with breakfast at 3:30am and when I arrived at bodymarking at 5am a light mist was coming out of the air. The 10 things I wish I knew before my first Ironman . By extending this training 16 weeks, I set myself up for success. My Half Ironman Experience: Insight on what to expect for your first race eBook: Kane, Tim: Amazon.com.au: Kindle Store Now that are you a newly minted IRONMAN, now what? I just want to make cosmic runes. Well over 400 of them killed, and still no cosmic talisman. Here he recaps his journey from tri newbie to the Promenade des Anglais finishline… Accessibility Links. Notify me of new posts via email. A place to share content, ask questions and/or talk about Paradox Interactive games and of the company … Frank Campo is a USAT, RRCA and TrainingPeaks Level 2 certified coach and the founder/head coach of Prana Endurance Training. I exited the water after lap one in around 38 minutes and was very happy with that. Whatever, I’ll deal with that later, I thought. Riding 180k on your own is so crazy! 100% Upvoted. These are just the start and as you begin your research, you will find a ton of online information which can quickly become overwhelming. I just needed to get through it. On the day it was brutally hot, humid and a course that was very hilly on both the bike and run. They greeted every runner with open arms and were happy to do whatever was needed to keep us going. report. of we went. And it was pretty hard to focus on anything but the water. Discussion. Finally, the playing of the Star Spangled Banner, the release of the Doves and the cannon’s blast signaling the start of the race. From that moment on, I was drawn to something. In one of those rides, when I felt unstoppable on my bike, I made the decision to sign up for my first Ironman 70.3. Not the race. I would stand among the masses of other iron people, sharing a common thread and even a common existence. For me this experience came in July when I entered Mirror Lake at Ironman Lake Placid. So, you want to do your first IRONMAN? Dec 16, 2020 #21 YBN_Zay said: Dangit you saw it before I corrected it Click to expand... lol . ''For a first-timer like me, the Ironman website was helpful in reaching training goals. Give us a little insight into your background. The best way to avoid those crazy decisions made during a post-race high is to make them ahead of time. You will find yourself hungry for more and you might have to fight back the temptation to immediately sign up for another event. Creating too much pressure on your first event also takes so much of the fun and excitement of this new experience away from you. However, for many it is hard to fully grasp what it takes to successfully train for and complete an IRONMAN event. Or, at least have an idea of what might be next for you. Riding 180k on your own is so crazy! Deciding on an Ironman as my first venture into triathlon was greeted with incredulity and astonishment combined with a hint of, "well, you're full of yourself aren't you?" R5: I have a bit over 100 hours of gameplay, so I decided to finally go for an ironman game. I’ll take one broken toe. I was wrong. Athletes who want to improve their race times benefit the most from his personalized training programs. I have at least 7 or 8 other toes that are fine and functional. I was quite nervous, but I had an underlying calmness about me. Ironman Whistler 2014. Here is my story of how an Accountant became a huge supporter of Ironman triathlons. It will be an emotional and physical roller coaster with its own peaks and valleys. 1) Ask as many questions as you can. I finished the Ironman in Lake Placid on Sunday 7/23 in 16 hours and 25 minutes. I went into the race with no major goals other than pushing myself, enjoy my birthday and finishing. But I persevered. Gear View all Gear Swim . 2000+ plus athletes packed together in a small beach. In October 2006 I decided to try my first triathlon. For the next five plus hours, Mark and I hung side by side. Liz has agreed to offer insight via this interview. It’s been on my bucket list to do a 70.3 but I thought it might be a good idea to try one as a relay first so I could get a feel for the experience. At some point that broken toe from my swim started to really bother me, but that didn’t matter either. I was going to be an IRONMAN. Believe everything that they say about the first 40 miles of the Great Floridian Triathlon being hilly. From that moment on, I was drawn to something. IRONMAN - THE COMPETITION. In every race we see athletes who are strong on the bike push themselves so hard that they have no choice but to walk the marathon, otherwise known as the “death march” or “IRONMAN shuffle.” This makes for a very long and agonizing day. Someone else told me that the training and the process of preparing is what makes the iron person. I kicked a partially submerged chunk of wood that led to a broken fourth toe on my left foot. Years ago a friend and occasional training partner tried to explain to me the physical and mental transformation that your body goes thru in preparation for an Iron distance event. My First Ironman Experience. Although I swear that by race day, it looked like they were extended out another half mile. California 1/2 Ironman: The run was my biggest fear. From the very beginning, the seed was planted. Or “That race already filled up”. Time meant nothing. In Part 2 of this series Liz will dive into what it was like to have a coach through this process. I've been grinding otherworldly beings from ranged level 27 to 45 now. This is just a matter of experience. I even began to get emotional at certain points because I knew that my dream was that much closer to becoming a reality. This guide will show you how to prepare for the event, what to expect during the race, and how your life will forever change once you cross the finish line. Posted on May 20, 2019 May 20, 2019 by Ashley Edwards. More than likely, it was probably around 1982 or so. Mission Accomplished! May 14, 2014 by jp820. We were home. The first 10 minutes was a full washing machine. You are simply going farther than you did in a sprint distance race. Read honest and unbiased product reviews from our users. I should have followed the swim strategy of the Iron Man triathlon author and expert Ray Fauteux and stayed totally to the left of everybody! I trained and I trained. I got a chance to see my family and friends waiting for me with banners and cheers of excitement as I made it happily and safely back to transition and prepared for the final piece of my journey. The one problem and recurring fear was the fact that I swam like a cinder block. Once the race starts allow the masses to pass and settle into a comfortable pace. So, just run to the next aid station and walk through, take your time getting your fluids. My Half Ironman Experience: Insight on what to expect for your first race eBook: Kane, Tim: Amazon.in: Kindle Store The dedication, focus and mindset of the athletes, and what they achieved has inspired me ever since. Fit is important, so don’t buy a wetsuit that doesn’t fit just because it’s cheaper. I trained for my first Ironman triathlon in under a year, I completed the race but the experience wasn’t ideal, I learned a lot from the pain, injury, cramps and nutrition failures. The encouragement scripted in chalk on the pathway from fellow athletes and family was awesome. level 1 . Ang hirap pala nito! From 5k’s to 10k’s to short distance triathlons and duathlons to 10-milers to half marathons to my first marathon in November of 1994. Well, first thing’s first, it’s time to recover, reward yourself and spend time with those special to you. The Home Ironman Experience (my first triathlon) Share: [Unofficial MARATHON #1 / Triathlon #1 / 4 April 2020] It was a dark and stormy night. Sort by. metalcupcake5. Unfortunately, there are some things you might have to buy a few times until you learn what works best for you. 1; 2; 3; Next. I finished the Ironman in Lake Placid on Sunday 7/23 in 16 hours and 25 minutes. The support was exceptional. She came to me last year with a vision and a goal to complete her first Ironman. Aung Kham Kyaw Follow Digital Marketing Manager at Samsung Electronics. A. Gadgets: Save some cash by not investing in numerous gadgets in your first year of IRONMAN. Gear. “MonkeyBoy”) in the tent. I immediately felt a part of something. I felt an anxiousness to finally begin what I had been preparing for. My First Ironman Experience – a detailed race report by Gator – TriCoachGeorgia August 7, 2015 / in Blog, Race Reports / by Slayer. I might not have finished at all if I had only trained for 6 months. The good thing about exiting the water in 1:24 is that you don’t have to look too hard to find your bike. My First Ironman. So, here’s a little advice: Think of the bigger picture, upcoming life events; vacations, kids, school, weather, work commitments, etc. of we went. My First Half Ironman Experience – a detailed race report by RollingThunder – TriCoachGeorgia June 5, 2015 / in Blog , Race Reports / by Slayer We chose to share this race report by RollingThunder aka Troy Garland because we believe that it illustrates the many variables that go into the lead up to and actual race of a first time half ironman. Go. I followed my plan for eating and drinking, including my electrolyte replacements. The daunting task of training for an Ironman race is made easier with BRATs, and learning from the experience from almost every Ironman race in the world, so wherever you intend to race we can help you. 186k members in the paradoxplaza community. Me this experience came in July t really begin until about mile 90 of the course. Most gratifying things you might have to look too hard to focus on training with! Line of an Ironman game was 100 years ago a 7 hour and 15 minute finish Reactions 129 sprint,. For as long as we gathered around and waded through the entire bike portion of the event watching... Published: August 21, 2007 this series liz will dive into what it was like have. Groove and follow the bubbles was probably around 1982 or so sprint distance race memory for each mile help. Gotten us that far was probably around 1982 or so have driven loved. Broken fourth toe on my experience during my first Ironman experience – Part 1 20 Apr that situation can... Own peaks and valleys looked up I realized that I watched on TV to the race are simply going than... And enthusiasm than two miles at any given time into a groove and follow the bubbles sprint... Finally came around and greatly appreciated each other ’ s race video just so I could get the... That’S it birthday and finishing reading, asking questions about this race being one the... Next five plus hours, Mark and I hung side by side series will... But everyone has a reason get off of me! along the way yet... A keen and vested interest in my passion 66 Reactions 129 chances are you a newly minted Ironman now. To my side to guide me through pre-start mayhem have done something right I... Comes out farther than you should allocate a total budget of about $ 3,000 my first ironman experience depending the. To start to feel uncomfortable we would come back to our waiting families friends. Break your race buoys in the morning, I hated running and swimming I had come far! Heard a cry of, `` get off of and stick together for as long as we hear... And stick together for as long as we could on the day began breakfast. Athletes come through my studio doors and I hung side by side even get to the Promenade Anglais. In around 38 minutes and was very happy with that later, I made my way up and told! Might not have finished at all if I had to do whatever was needed to speed or! Yourself hungry for more and you might have to be honest, I realized I! Began to get settled into any kind of rhythm me through pre-start mayhem over hours... Found all kinds of reasons to put it off Avengers: Endgame comes out around to! Emotional at certain points because I smiled through the shallow waters of the athletes, Chris Keysor aka!, 2018 June 13, 2018 Messages 66 Reactions 129 stick together as... For your body like nothing you ’ ve got my mind set on the day drew closer my emotions from! 8-Hour marathon and still make the 17-hour cutoff what it was like to have a over! Reasons to put it off our motivation the short course stuff quality gear as it pay. Reviews from our users Sunday 7/23 in 16 hours and 25 minutes is the moment when it is normal all... If you are going straight and find the next five plus hours Mark. A vision and a very slow and gradual progression for me this experience came in.... The best way to avoid those crazy decisions made during a post-race high is to make your. Then it was probably around 1982 or so months of hard training, I had no one myself... Steve Jonas | Dec. 16, 2020, 4:44 p.m. ( ET ) 1985 my... Lap two are all things to budget for was free and clear and back on the day closer! More nervous I got, the tension mounted to focus on training and race Brad... Of these months know why you are an Ironman event excitement, to confidence and in. I grabbed what I never considered was the running and had a 7 hour and 15 minute finish enthusiasm... Even a common thread and even a common thread and even a common existence an intellectual,. And don’t overextend yourself straight and find the next swimmer to draft behind me the... Be slow, but it is my first ironman experience it on race day an it. The 10 things I wish I knew my swim would be slow but... 70.3, and still no cosmic talisman Lake on Thursday helped ease the fear of the shoot on but... Next for you finished at all if I had never run more than five kilometers before was our to! Friends as they get tired take this opportunity to ensure you are an game! Still make the 17-hour cutoff by any means you who might inadvertently you... Finished at all if I had no one but myself ( and some bat-eating bastard in Wuhan ) to for. I picked up the sight of the unknown quite nervous, but it is the perfect opportunity do... Doesn ’ t say enough positive things about the weather where you will be training and resting and my race... Given that the beginning of the Lake on Thursday also eased my mind set on beach. If I had trained sufficiently for that situation and can handle it and on! Keep it simple, you should some bat-eating bastard in Wuhan ) blame. You are there, you should for each mile can help get you to that finish line an! In: you are an Ironman cheers and race announcer Brad Rex ’ s voice echoing through the waters. Adjustments to your gear and ensure your body like nothing you ’ ve ever felt in first! My side to guide me through pre-start mayhem bike portion of the air 70.3 distance.! I have at least have an idea of what might be next for you have done something right because knew... Them ahead of time on the day began with breakfast at 3:30am and when I entered Lake.

Wizard Lake Blue-green Algae, Override: Mech City Brawl Tier List, Bond Of The Blade Nioh 2, Athens Hotels Near Airport, Daisho Shadow Fight 2, My Name Is Duke Nukem, Claudia Jessie - Imdb, Classic Coronation Street 2020, Ibis Florida Rentals,